New chicks in flock having a hard time joining.

Chickener_

In the Brooder
May 26, 2021
Hi! I currently have three chickens, one approximately a year old not sure what breed and two three month old frizzle pekin bantams. a few months ago we had a fox attack our flock and were left with only one chicken, the oldest I have at the moment. since then I've gotten the two frizzles and a few days ago I started to put them in the same coop because I am going away in a few weeks and I will need to leave them alone for a few days. they've been together in the run with no problems for around a week. The hen likes to peck the pekins a lot and I know that it is how they sort out the pecking order but the younger chickens are of course a lot smaller than her and since I wont be able to be with them when im gone or when they're together at night so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get the hen to tolerate the pekins? at the moment, when they are together in the coop at night, the two younger chickens squish themselves up in the corner and whenever she sees their feathers around the board (I put a piece of wood so that the pekins can get away from her if they need to) she will aggressively peck them until she cant see them anymore. I do know this is their usual way of sorting out the pecking order but they are quite a bit smaller than her and since being put with her, they have stopped trusting me as much so I really don't know what to do and I don't want it to get to the point where there is blood being drawn especially when I'm not there to help them.

Since you won't be there to monitor behaviour, my advice would be to separate them in private space for those few day if there is no one to watch them. Even in small space they can survive for few days. To me that isn't pecking order but bullying. Same with mine chickens, I let chicks, older, younger, adult chickens, bantams all together to free range and there is no problem because they can run from each other. But when you try to coop older chicks(2-3 months old) wirh adult, they bully them because they are in their space. I do think that yours can get along in some time but you need to watch them carefully because little pekins can't do much to older alpha hen. Good luck

I do know this is their usual way of sorting out the pecking order
Not really. Their normal way is for them to have enough room (think free range) so the juveniles can run away from the adults and form their own sub-flock. They avoid the adults during the day and as they are settling down to sleep at night. Once they are mature enough the juveniles join the pecking order, usually without any real drama. Instead of avoiding the others, they come together.

The problems come in when we confine them to coops and runs, especially when they are so confined they can't run away or avoid. They are put in an unnatural situation that creates stress. You probably have plenty of room for them once they become one flock, but integration takes more room. You only go those two a couple of days ago, you are still in the initial integration phase. Often they can learn to live in fairly tight spaces in a few weeks, sometimes mine stay in that avoidance phase until they pretty much mature, about the time the pullets start laying eggs.

I am going away in a few weeks and I will need to leave them alone for a few days. they've been together in the run with no problems for around a week.
This sounds pretty good. You have a few weeks to work with and they are fine during the day. Your problem is when they try to sleep together at night. If you can create a safe place (predator proof) for them to sleep where the hen can't bother them and train them to sleep there your problems sound solved. I don't know what your facilities look like or how hard this would be for you to do. If you post some photos of your facilities maybe we can come up with specific suggestions. You can probably come up with your own solution. This would be my approach.

Not really. Their normal way is for them to have enough room (think free range) so the juveniles can run away from the adults and form their own sub-flock. They avoid the adults during the day and as they are settling down to sleep at night. Once they are mature enough the juveniles join the pecking order, usually without any real drama. Instead of avoiding the others, they come together.

The problems come in when we confine them to coops and runs, especially when they are so confined they can't run away or avoid. They are put in an unnatural situation that creates stress. You probably have plenty of room for them once they become one flock, but integration takes more room. You only go those two a couple of days ago, you are still in the initial integration phase. Often they can learn to live in fairly tight spaces in a few weeks, sometimes mine stay in that avoidance phase until they pretty much mature, about the time the pullets start laying eggs.

This sounds pretty good. You have a few weeks to work with and they are fine during the day. Your problem is when they try to sleep together at night. If you can create a safe place (predator proof) for them to sleep where the hen can't bother them and train them to sleep there your problems sound solved. I don't know what your facilities look like or how hard this would be for you to do. If you post some photos of your facilities maybe we can come up with specific suggestions. You can probably come up with your own solution. This would be my approach.
Okay thanks I can definitely make a safe predator proof place for them to be away from the hen. :)

Back
Top Bottom