New chicks, not sure what breed

mortie

Songster
7 Years
Feb 16, 2014
The Frozen Tundra
These could be a mix as well.

They hatched out of brown eggs. I would call them medium brown. The chicks are a light redish color and I noticed that they appeared to be feather sexable, unlike my ameraucana chicks. They had definite differences in their wing feathers. I also noticed that some of the chicks had a bit of a whitish stripe down the back and some of them have a darker red stripe down the back.

Examination of the wing feathers revealed that all the ones with the white stripe were the same (and what I would identify as female) and the ones with the darker stripe have feathers that look like male feathers.

Any idea what breed or cross these are?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. There is one with the light stripe I'm this picture and one with the darker stripe. Ideas?

I didn't get them at the feed store. I actually hatched them out of eggs I bought at a farmer's market. I should probably just go back and find the guy and ask him what kind of chickens he has lol. It was fun waiting to see what color chickens were going to pop out of those eggs though. My completely uneducated guess is they are production red or RIR crosses. Maybe I'll go over there this week and see if I can find the guy.

Really, there are lots of breeds that look like that as chicks. But, to me they look like production or New Hampshire reds. I got production red packing peanuts in my last hatchery order, and they looked just like that. Some even had the faint reddish stripes down their backs. Good luck with them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom