~~New chicks, question....

60ACRES

Stepped in what??
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Long, OK
I got 4 new French Black Copper Marans yesterday! *my first chickens,.... ever!*

One of them has something that looks like its sticking out of its butt.
I was thinking it either had eaten something, and will not completely come out?
Or that its where the Yolk Sack was attached and this will fall off?

It almost looks like a dried thread about 3/4 of an inch long. I gave it a little tug, but its still there.

Should i go ahead and try to get it out or will this fall off or come out on its own.

Sorry I have no pictures, or a clue!

Last edited:
My new chickens are 5 and 6 weeks old. I believe that yours may have what mine had when I brought them home from the hatchery - pasting. All I did was get warm (not hot!) water and a paper towel, dampened the towel in the water and slowly remove the dried yuch. I had to use my fingers to break up some of the clots, and constantly change to a clean portion of the towel, but it worked perfectly. I also tried to gently dry their fannies when I was done. If you had a picture it would be more helpful to other more seasoned BYC'ers!

Nope, not paste.

If you ever had any stitches, thats what this reminds me of. The butt is clean & cute, this is dried,
hmm.png
"crinckled" and sticking out.

Quote:
Well, thats what i was thinking, but I don't know where that attaches or if it does, or, well, anything! I don't know anything!

Back
Top Bottom