New chicks

MMAATC

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
Picked up our first ever chicks tonight with my daughter. How long do they sleep and how often through the night would you check on them? Thanks in advance for the help.

Like any babies, they sleep a LOT. They'll play hard for five or ten minutes then sleep for half an hour or so. Sometimes more. I personally always brood outside so I never really bother checking on them in the night. I've always figured that if I went to check on them, I'd wake them up. Thus teaching them to wake up during the night when I want to sleep. They will be fine.

If you are a worry wart like me - you could put a baby monitor next to the brooder. That way you can hear if anything unusual is going on without disturbing them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You been given some good advice by JadedPhoenix and drumstick diva. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Do you mix regular apple cider vinegar or the one with mothers in it to the chickens water?

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom