New chicks

How do you start a new thread on this site? I have a 2' x 4' plastic tote we have our chickens in. They are about 6" tall. When will they be ready for outside? I have heat lamp about 16" from the top of their head. Thanks in advance for your help.

How do you start a new thread on this site? I have a 2' x 4' plastic tote we have our chickens in. They are about 6" tall. When will they be ready for outside? I have heat lamp about 16" from the top of their head. Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome.

Go to the top of the screen and look under forums to pick which is appropriate to your topic, I think Raising baby chicks would be best. Once there, look at the left side of screen and select " Start a new Thread" and just add a title, type the post and submit.

Chicks should be fully feathered before moving outside, this is at least 5-6 weeks old. If you don't know how old they are, then you can post pics and someone can help you guess the ages.

Quote:
It would help if we knew where you are. In my area, I put the chicks out on day one with the lamp in their coop. They are actually on the ground in a small coop that has the attached run. I have a tarp to keep the draft out and to keep the heat in and allow them to choose when they want the light. When I see them no longer hanging around it during the day, I turn it off during the day but keep it on at night until I see them avoiding it at night as well. It always works well for me but I live in area that has a mild climate. If I lived up north where there was still snow on the ground, it wouldn't work. Anyway, you say how big the chicks are but how feathered are they? If they are fully feathered, you'd most likely be alright with putting them out now.

Back
Top Bottom