New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm just wondering why you don't put the lav roo with black hens and sell lav-split chicks & eggs? Do you not have a b/b/s roo?
I've heard so many times not to "waste" lav by crossing to blue, because you lose it.

I do not have any more pens and I want a lavender.
big_smile.png
A lavender splash might me cool.

Last edited:
Quote:
I could go out in the garage, jump up and down and call myself a car all day long but that don't make me one.

The Ameraucana breed has enough misinformation being put out as is. Why add to that? All you have to do is be specific with your details and let folks know exactly what you have produced - i.e. "Chicks from my Black Ameraucana hen crossed with my Lavender (breed) rooster." Btw, I noticed on the list of birds in your signature that you have a "split/black lavender orpington". If this is the "lavender Roo" you are referring to, then the offspring would most definitely be an EE and it would be flat wrong to sell them as anything other than an EE. It's been some time since I read the "rules" for BYC but I believe there was something in them that talked about truth, integrity, and such and I would hope that the Mods on BYC would not allow anyone to directly and intentionally misrepresent what they're selling on here.

One of the reasons the APA has the SOP in place is for the preservation of the bird. If you sell, say for example, a Black Ameraucana to someone who thinks they are getting a Black Ameraucana and then that bird winds up passing on a lavender gene or other Orpington characteristics towards the type, then you've really done an injustice to that person. If you extrapolate that on out, one can easily see how those genes could promulgate and eventually maybe even wind up back into the flock where the original BBS birds came from which could then in turn ruin the entire breeding efforts of a BBS breeder.

To Ameraucana Chick's point about why two different varieties of Ameraucana crossed ain't an Ameraucana, it may seem confusing but if you look closely at the extreme diligence, time, effort, and energy put into getting a particular variety approved by the APA, it is quite easy to see why the requirements are there. Otherwise, you could have everyone and his brother out there crossing all sorts of birds and calling them all sorts of things. Folks who do not show may not approve of or appreciate the APA and its Standards but they're there for a good reason and they serve a valuable purpose.

I'd have to spend some time, which I don't have right now, but if memory serves me correctly, in order to get approved by the APA you have to have at least five different individual breeder flocks made up of at least 50 birds in each flock, that have been breeding true at least 50% of the time for at least 5 years and then on top of that they have to be shown at an APA sanctioned show a certain number of qualified events (I think it's 2 per year for each of the 5 years) which have a minimum number of birds at each show and then all those birds have to meet the suggested SOP.

If we didn't have strict adherence to the Standard, eventually we'd wind up with so much experimentation going on that the original breed would be lost forever. That's my two-cents worth.

God Bless,

no I have a lavender/spilt Orp too and I would never lead anyone wrong when they start laying I will tell what is in the coop. I never say I would not let people that they are B/B/S with lavender roo just say i am going to call them ameraucana being the breed. you also can look in my website want is in all my coop, the ones that I have not finished on my website are not laying and I have not complete decide what bird I am going to use. I have never lead anyone on a never will. sorry for the big misunderstanding. But I believe a pure Ameraucana breed to a pure Ameraucana is still a pure Ameracuana. Just like a Silver Lace Cochin with a Gold Lace Cochin is still a Cochin But that's it for me thanks of reading to my opinion. God Bless

Last edited:
Quote:
I could go out in the garage, jump up and down and call myself a car all day long but that don't make me one.

The Ameraucana breed has enough misinformation being put out as is. Why add to that? All you have to do is be specific with your details and let folks know exactly what you have produced - i.e. "Chicks from my Black Ameraucana hen crossed with my Lavender (breed) rooster." Btw, I noticed on the list of birds in your signature that you have a "split/black lavender orpington". If this is the "lavender Roo" you are referring to, then the offspring would most definitely be an EE and it would be flat wrong to sell them as anything other than an EE. It's been some time since I read the "rules" for BYC but I believe there was something in them that talked about truth, integrity, and such and I would hope that the Mods on BYC would not allow anyone to directly and intentionally misrepresent what they're selling on here.

One of the reasons the APA has the SOP in place is for the preservation of the bird. If you sell, say for example, a Black Ameraucana to someone who thinks they are getting a Black Ameraucana and then that bird winds up passing on a lavender gene or other Orpington characteristics towards the type, then you've really done an injustice to that person. If you extrapolate that on out, one can easily see how those genes could promulgate and eventually maybe even wind up back into the flock where the original BBS birds came from which could then in turn ruin the entire breeding efforts of a BBS breeder.

To Ameraucana Chick's point about why two different varieties of Ameraucana crossed ain't an Ameraucana, it may seem confusing but if you look closely at the extreme diligence, time, effort, and energy put into getting a particular variety approved by the APA, it is quite easy to see why the requirements are there. Otherwise, you could have everyone and his brother out there crossing all sorts of birds and calling them all sorts of things. Folks who do not show may not approve of or appreciate the APA and its Standards but they're there for a good reason and they serve a valuable purpose.

I'd have to spend some time, which I don't have right now, but if memory serves me correctly, in order to get approved by the APA you have to have at least five different individual breeder flocks made up of at least 50 birds in each flock, that have been breeding true at least 50% of the time for at least 5 years and then on top of that they have to be shown at an APA sanctioned show a certain number of qualified events (I think it's 2 per year for each of the 5 years) which have a minimum number of birds at each show and then all those birds have to meet the suggested SOP.

If we didn't have strict adherence to the Standard, eventually we'd wind up with so much experimentation going on that the original breed would be lost forever. That's my two-cents worth.

God Bless,

You jumping up and down and calling yourself a car is totally different than what Ilovefrizzles is saying.Now If you had a red car and a blue car and mixed them and then said I have a car that would be the comparison that she is speaking of.I know for a fact that she has a very nice lavender ameraucana roo because she got it from me.telling someone basically they are dishonest and need to read the BYC rules is pushing it a little far.I do 100% understand the need for standards and understand that Ameraucana's need to be breed to like colors.
wink.png

Last edited:
But Ameraucanas are strictly Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas that have been selectively bred to have certain characteristics that are specified in the APA Standard of Perfection. If chickens do not have those characteristics, they should not be labelled Ameraucanas.

I was very disappointed to take birds to my first chicken show that I had bought as "Ameraucanas" and have them disqualified immediately because they did not meet the APA specifications. That wasted a lot of time, preparation, effort and hopes. Please do not do this to someone else. Please only portray birds that meet the APA Standard criteria as Ameraucanas.

Easter Eggers are wonderful, too! It is a delight to have them, and you can have the freedom to breed a lot more variation and specializations in color, temperament, etc. It just is a mis-portrayal to sell them labelled as Ameraucanas to people who would then expect to be able to do with them the things you can do with Ameraucanas--compete in shows, and breed Ameraucana offspring reliably from compatible Ameraucana color varieties.

It is helpful for all this info to get circulated so everyone can better fill their expectations when choosing birds to buy & breed.

ILOVEFRIZZLES--I'm sorry this feels disappointing in your situation & seems it would dampen your sales.
Your screen name makes me wonder if you also might be interested in exploring an option I've SO wanted to see someone pursue in Easter Eggers and/or Ameraucanas--frizzled ones!
droolin.gif
I think they would be SO cool!!!

Last edited:
I already have a frizzle EE roo he is so handsome going to breed him back to some ameraucana that I have that are not form the cree line but are pure will still call the chicks EE because they will be half pure and half EE

My Edward he came for a nice shade of Blue egg. I also have a smooth black EE hen. Belle

P1010850.jpg

ps: I am not disappointing in my situation and do not believe it will dampen my sales. I believe they will sell just fine. Not to the breeders but for a backyard flock they will love them.

Last edited:
This is the greatest thread!! Love, LOVE the projects!! Please all be on your best behavior so as to keep it around.
The non standard color variety Ameraucanas discussions always get sticky. APA made the rules, its not really up for debate.
There is nothing hard about just being clear and identifying what you have. Its easy, its fun, and we love em all!

This breaks my heart, though, and you see it on BYC practically everyday. For those people who wonder why you cant breed mixed color varieties and sell them as pures..
"I was very disappointed to take birds to my first chicken show that I had bought as "Ameraucanas" and have them disqualified immediately because they did not meet the APA specifications. That wasted a lot of time, preparation, effort and hopes. Please do not do this to someone else. Please only portray birds that meet the APA Standard criteria as Ameraucanas."

That's a hard lesson for anybody, and terrible if it had been a child.

If my kids see this they will want a flock of Frizzled EEs!! Heck considering we still have our first retired EE girls that are going on 6 years-I'll have to replace them someday with these (0:

Quote:

Quote:
Let me get this straight. So, if I breed a black ameraucana to a blue ameraucana, anything that doesn't completely match the standard is not an ameraucana? Let's say one lays a greenish egg - that one is not an ameraucana, yet I can enter it in a show and they don't judge for this disqualification? How about if one of the blue ameraucanas is so light it looks like a lavender? It's now an easter egger that can't be shown as a blue and simply marked off for poor color?

How about if a roo weighs 8.5 lbs, yet all other traits match the standard? Is it not an ameraucana? I could go on and on with hundreds of examples and in fact very few if any birds meet the standard totally. So, how many real ameraucanas are there? Just the few perfect birds that have existed? How can anyone justify selling any chicks as ameraucanas, knowing that many will have traits that don't meet the standard.

Another thing, why do so many of these trait faults disqualify them as ameraucanas and yet they don't disqualify them to be shown as ameraucanas? If I don't belong to the ameraucana breeders club, then I'm not governed by their rules, just the guidelines of the SOP if I want to show. Why should I be following the rules of a club I don't belong to? Just because a member of that club thinks my ameraucanas are not ameraucans, doesn't make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom