New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I do have a question. Not jumping on anyones tail or anything. But I hear all the time about pet quality and show quality. If an Ameraucana is bred with an Ameraucana, its an Ameraucana. If you breed a Silkie to a Silkie, it a Silkie. If a Silkie does not meet the standard it is then dubbed "pet quality", right? So why is a pure bred Ameraucana that doesnt meet the standard considered a EE and not a "Pet Quality Ameraucana"?

Also anyone that sells day olds, week olds, chicks in general. You dont know what they will look like when they are fully feathered or if they will lay the right color egg. So if a seller sells a chick that doesnt meet standard when they are grown, does that mean they were decieving? How are you to know what they will look like? Should all Ameraucana breeders wait until they are grown to sell them to know what color they are, what color egg they lay, etc?

Last edited:
Quote:
When you own the parent birds you should be fairly certain the chicks will look something like them. If I breed two black ameraucana you should expect to see black ameraucana chicks. I feel decived when something advertised as "breeder quality black ameraucana" come out an EE. There are always genetic flukes and some odd color could pop out. A pure color bred ameraucana is not considered an EE. If its not a correct color then its considered a genetic mistake. If you cross a Wheaten and a Black that is not a pure color bird so its an EE. When you buy any breed of birds eggs or chicks you don't know what your getting its always a gamble. No one can garuntee 100% of birds can meet the standard.

Henry

Quote:
Ok I hear ya, but what about my first question? And I guess you could say Im a bit confused... is an EE a pure Ameraucana thats the wrong color or an Ameraucana crossed with another breed? I think this is where everyone is seeing a discrepancy. People who breed "Pure" that want different colors are being confused with those who breed whatever they want and still call it an EE. I think somewhere there needs to be something set for "What is an EE".

Edited because I cant spell!

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok I hear ya, but what about my first question? And I guess you could say Im a bit confused... is an EE a pure Ameraucana thats the wrong color or an Ameraucana crossed with another breed? I think this is where everyone is seeing a discrepancy. People who breed "Pure" that want different colors are being confused with those who breed whatever they want and still call it an EE. I think somewhere there needs to be something set for "What is an EE".

Edited because I cant spell!

I really have no answer for you on a clear defention for an EE I have the same problem I guess! Most hatchery EE's are mixed breeds. I think it would be rare for an EE to be two mixed color ameraucana. But people who are mixing two colors of Ameraucana may also be calling there birds EE I don't know. Its a good question I can't answer.

Im just really confused on the fact if you change the color of an Ameraucana its considered a different breed, but on the other hand if you change the color of another breed its just considered a "pet quality" bird... hmmm
barnie.gif
Im so puzzled and confused. Plllleeeeaaaaasssseeeee no one take this as me bashing! I am just simply wondering the difference between these birds and what makes each! I know plenty of people the sell pure Ameraucana ("wrong colored") as EEs or as "Pures" but then others sell cross breeds as EE. I just dont understand how something that is actually pure is compared to something that is crossed and half the time no one knows what it is crossed with!

Last edited:
Wish one of the "Ameraucana Police" would come here and answer some of these great questions that folks are throwing up. The way that I see it they are a nonstandard color Ameraucana but they are still Ameraucanas. I think the club might have a different take on it but that is my 2 cents. The only real reference I can find on Easter Eggers is on the Ameraucana Club's website. As I have said before this is the only Club that has this rule, If you have a non standard color Orphington you still have an Orphington. It is all very confusing to me. Also from what I have noticed is if you have a nonstandard color just refer to it as a project bird or a project color and everything is OK.
Just my opinion.
Sharon

Most of the folks in the know are at The Ohio National so we may have to postpone this til next week.

Last edited:
I think that if the bird meets the standard as far as type it should be an ameraucana. Remember, type first, color later. So if you have an ameraucana with a squirrel tail or no beard it shouldnt be an ameraucana. As far as wrong leg color that can happen in any breed and with one breeding it can be fixed. Like with araucanas there should just be an AOV ameraucana, much easier than the dumb fine line of ameraucana and EE.

I think the real question is where did the EE breed come from? Not the APA since they don't care, so that leaves the Ameraucana club.... Funny how all these "clubs" are making rules as they see fit. I have seen it right here on BYC where a bird is called an EE on one thread since it isn't an APA approved color and then on another thread it's called a "project" Ameraucana.

Steve in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom