New coop built & used for 24 hours now! DLM - with Leaves?

Jenn1399

Songster
12 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I want to start by saying that I am VERY new to this! Got a book from the library (City Chicks), retro-fitted a coop type thing in the back yard & then got some laying hens & brought them home last night!
clap.gif

Here is one of my 7 birds. I think an EE, since she seems to have a butt? Though - she does in this picture, but when I look at her in person (or is that "in chicken"?), i don't think she does have a butt??
2011-04-08017.jpg

Their coop has a dirt floor. Will the deep litter method work - using dried yard leaves as the litter??
The coop:
2011-04-08026.jpg

2011-04-03coop001.jpg

2011-04-08023.jpg

Here, you can see my very excited son, Everett with the new hens. But, behind him you can see the dirt floor. This was last night. Today, I decided to add leaves, so they could forage a bit - I feel awful they need to be locked in here for 4-5 days to get used to the space! I want them to run around now!
gig.gif

The ladies LOVED the leaves in there! They were diggin all about & were thrilled to have the leaves!

Is there a chance that the DLM will work with leaves?
fl.gif

Next question (you didn't expect just one, right?)

So, the cage thingy I already had in the yard was divided into 2 thirds on the right side & one third on the left. I built a small "hen house" in the left side, accessed by a ramp from the right. My intention was to lock them in the tiny hen house for nighttime. Well, they don't want to go in there! They'll go in if I put them there & stay & hang out for a bit, but they'll walk back down the ramp before I collect all the ladies. I really was just worried that some ravenous animal would scare the bajezus out of the hens in the big open part & I wanted them to have a safe spot. We regularly have fox, deer, armadillo in the yard... & that's what I see.....

2011-04-03coop005.jpg

So, inside of this little hen house are 2 nest boxes & then a roost up above them. I guess the girls are ok in the big coop at night. Maybe I'm not, but I think they are.?? IDK??

Today, mid day - someone laid their VERY FIRST EGG (well, first egg at their new home!) & it was just sitting in the back of the coop in the leaves. Not in the nest box....... not even close.

Are my nest boxes to remote you think??? I have some egg crates, I wonder if I should put them in the corner of the coop to make a more accessible nest??

Help is appreciated!!!
love.gif

Last edited:
Looks great! I think the hens will do fine. I find that you move them in and then you adjust things to suit you for cleaning, egg collecting, maybe another roost or a higher one... You learn as you go and the hens guide you
smile.png
The coops inside my barn are open like yours.

welcome-byc.gif
from California!

The DLM is best used with a dirt floor, actually. Those of us with other floor surfaces don't get the same decomposition effect as those coops with dirt floors. Plus, we have to muck our coops out twice a year; you should be able to let yours go for a year!

And leaves are fine for litter.

You will find that you will probably never have much luck herding chickens before dark. They just aren't gonna want to be anyplace but where there is more room to scratch and flap and do chickeny things during daylight hours. If you have enough space to put a feeder and waterer in the coop (henhouse section) I would suggest you put your flock in the coop and do keep them there for 4 or 5 days. Then let them out. They should go back in there again at dusk on their own.... but you may have to pick them up and put them in there, yourself, for a few more days.

So I'm thinking I should've posted to you all sooner & I should have locked them in the hen house before dark. Crud. I don't like to go out there in the dark............... so I think they will stay.............???? They were fine last night! I need to get the new flood light put in TOMORROW!!!

Quote:
Give them time to get oriented. Laying eggs on the floor is not uncommon. Heck I used to find them all over the yard... If you want them to sleep in the smaller section put them to bed there next time by putting their food and water in there. Then lock them in each time you put one in. Open the door put the chicken in and close it then catch the next one.

BTW I really like your chicken house.

Thanks for the feedback!
They are locked up tight in the hen house tonight. I slept AWFUL last night, I kept waking & checking on the chickens! If for nothing more than my sanity - they HAD to be IN the hen house tonight! They were all very happy in there & it is perfect, so I'm glad you all told me to put 'em in there!

With the DLM, will I keep adding more leaves? There are a lot in there - but the birds really like to get down to the dirt, so they keep moving leaves (throwing them actually!) & making dirt nest to sit in! I'm assuming the dirt is nice & cool for them as well.

Do I need to worry about heat from the DLM? I am in HOT HUMID SE Coast. I SWEAR, the lowcountry here is hotter & more humid than ANYWHERE. I swear
smile.png
They have shade avail 24/7 & good ventilation, but - exactly how hot does the DLM get??

YAY! The chickens (&me!) are getting used to the routine! 4 of the 7 chickens were IN the hen house tonight & the other 3 were waiting RIGHT outside the door!!!!

Back
Top Bottom