New coop help with questions

Bulldog6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
So I decided to build a new coop this year. I have the coop built in my barn but since the ground is still frozen I have some time to fine tune it.But I do have some questions that I could use some help with.

So my questions that I have are about drafts, flooring and roosting.

Drafts:

I have two areas of concerns about drafts. I was thinking about adding a door that will open behind the nesting boxes so I can get the eggs from outside. But will that area be to drafty for the birds while they are in the nesting boxes laying.

The other is I ordered an automatic chicken door and was wondering if that is near the nesting boxes or roosts will that be to drafty in that location or will it be ok.

Flooring:

I have pressure treated plywood floors in the coop. To help them last longer and to aid in clean up should I just paint them, or add some vinyl flooring to cover them up. I was worried that the vinyl flooring might be to slippery.

Roosting:

The coop is going to have a pyramid style roof on it. I was thinking about running some 2x4's across the top of the coop to put lights on. My question is if the chickens roost up there is there any danger to them with the light bulbs being under them or the electrical wire run to the lights?

As always thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Good questions and since we are about to built our first coop (since I was a kid) I am anxious to see what experienced coop folks answer with.

My question in the meantime - wouldn't any kind of a floor (vs hay/dirt/grass) eventually rot from their waste? Now by asking this, I don't mean the nesting area but rather the bottom/roaming area. Is this where you mean as well?

The floor in question was the main floor of the coop. I plan on putting straw or wood chips down but wasn't sure if I should take another measure to prolong the life of the coop floor to prevent it from rotting, and to assist with clean up. They will have an enclosed out door run with some free range time too.

We were thinking the same thing (enclosed free range area) for the time we are gone and they can't be let out to roam the property.

Back
Top Bottom