new coop space

Oopoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
what to do with my new coop space. I have acquired my son's "tree" fort and I need to furnish the inside for 9 hens. I have to work the outside ramp and fence in some areas but I'm stumped on how elaborate or simple to make the inside. The space is 9ft by 9ft and saltbox roofed. there is a shelf at about 6 ft over the entrance door that goes from one side to the other. Standing in that doorway there are two windows in front of me and one window in each wall left/right. Suggestions please...

you just need a roost and egg boxes, right? can the shelf serve as a poop board by putting the roost above that? and nest boxes can be as simple as buckets on their sides stacked on the floor?

I suggest you go visit the section of this site with coop pictures. I studied these for a couple of evenings and took ideas from different designs. There are some recommended sizes and heights for roosts and nests that I tried to abide by. My roost is located about 24" off the litter and even with the bottom of 2 large flap style windows. The girls jockey for position every night to be in front of the windows. I think they really like looking out as it gets dark.

I also modified the waterers so that they hang. I placed it and the feeder (also hanging) so that I can reach in and swing it to me without having to walk into the coop. I did the same thing in the run. My nests open from the outside as well. I can do all the daily water changing and egg gathering without having to enter the coop. Sounds nuts but I can't tell you how many times I am in a hurry to leave for work and run out there to change water. The non-entry method means I won't be getting poop on my shoes and therefore don't need to change them every time I go out there.

Oh, one other design I did was designed the chicken door (the one they use to get in and out of the coop) as a guillotine style with a cable and pulley system that runs all the way out to the exterior of the run. I can open and close it daily without having to go in the run or coop.

Just a few ideas to make daily routine simpler.

Back
Top Bottom