New coop

Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
I am having a new coop built. We plan to use the old coop for rabbits. How long do I need to keep the doors closed on the old coop before the girls will figure out their new home? We plan to keep the old coop and rabbit in the same area as the chickens and their new coop...

Do you have a run? Or strictly free range. I would keep the old coop locked up for a good week, and then see. It is going to be a trial and error type of deal.
They have a large fenced in area. It is higher than a city back yard, but they don’t have all 2 acres

If mine are fenced in, I don't lock them in the coop. I have never had trouble with them not going in the coop, but maybe one or two night. I just go down after dark, and stick them in the coop, on the floor. And shut the door, then let them out the next morning.
How long did it take for them to get use to their new nesting boxes?

Add fake eggs to nesting boxes.

I just got a new flock, first night had to put them in coop. Last night, guided them close to coop door, and they finally went in. Tonight all went in themselves.

They are not roosting yet. They will, just not yet. I see a nest on the floor, and one or two eggs have been found in the nest. I will Pull apart the nest tomorrow and add a few more golf balls to the nests.

Back
Top Bottom