New Dickey incubator.

cwalsh2

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Hermosa South Dakota
I just got my new Dickey incubator going. I love it. I got the model with 3 incubating trays and a hatching tray in the bottom. I debated between the 2x2 and this one, but Mr Dickey mentioned that with tray covers 13.40 Ea. any tray can also be used for hatching.
I was happy to see that the thermostat was a proportional thermostat, and does a great job of keeping a steady temp. He recommends 1/3 open for the vents in the back. With the pan 2/3 full of water, humidity was 58%(perfect for hatching) so I covered the pan with aluminum foil, except for 1 1/2" in the front, and now it is at 40%, which I like for incubating fresh eggs. It has kept a steady temp of 99.5 for 30 hours so I just turned it off to wait for hatching season in February.
The price was 631.75 plus 40 for tray covers and 35 for egg positioners..
I will get back in a couple months when I start hatching chicks.

Yes, the temp and humidity are viewed through the front window. I just candled my first setting of eggs on day 9. 7 were clear out of 150. They look great. I only want around 60 chicks,but set extra's because I don't know what I will get for a hatch rate. The humidity is easy to adjust by covering most of the humidity pan. I have 75% of the pan covered with foil and the vents 1/3 open. Relative humidity stays a constant 50% Temp a constant 99.5. It is so much easier to keep steady compared to the 3 styrofoam ones I used to use. Hatch day is on the 18th.

I just finished my first hatch. 90% hatched with no mortality and 100% of the chicks are healthy. I collected eggs for 12 days, so they were 0-12 days old. I kept humidity at 40% till lock down ,then 62% It went to 74% when it was full of freshly hatched chicks. I am 100% happy with my Dickeys incubator, but wish I had chosen the 2x2 model. Dickey incubators are great!

I just finished my 3rd hatch, with the Dickey. All very successful. 42% humidity, raising it to 62% on the second day of the 3 day lockdown. I am setting eggs every 11 days so the humidity is raised to 62% for 3 days in the middle of every cycle, but they are hatching great. No plans to change anything.

I just finished my first hatch. 90% hatched with no mortality and 100% of the chicks are healthy. I collected eggs for 12 days, so they were 0-12 days old. I kept humidity at 40% till lock down ,then 62% It went to 74% when it was full of freshly hatched chicks. I am 100% happy with my Dickeys incubator, but wish I had chosen the 2x2 model. Dickey incubators are great!
Why would you prefer the 2x2 model? Do you only hatch 192 at a time and not do any staggered hatching? Most people use 1 tray per week and move the eggs down to the hatcher in day 18.

Why would you prefer the 2x2 model? Do you only hatch 192 at a time and not do any staggered hatching? Most people use 1 tray per week and move the eggs down to the hatcher in day 18.
@cwalsh2 and @dheltzel Thank you for all of your input! I ordered my Dickey incubator and the day after it arrived, my plans changed due to family cirumstances. The orders for eggs were cancelled and I have yet to set up the incubator because I will be travelling for a month... Your input will be extremely helpful when I get home. I am going to get it running before I leave so that I can check temps and humidity, then I'll order eggs for 2 weeks before I return and my wonderful husband will get them started for me!

Cheers! I can't wait...

Back
Top Bottom