New; don't know what to do

hardychant

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
West Chester, PA
Hi Chicken friends,
Due to zoning restrictions & someone else's nasty neighbor, I have acquired five ( lost two during the long rough winter to predators). So I now have three chickens; two hens, a cute red one, "Red", and one with dark ringed neck who I call "Dark Star". I also have a beast of a rooster, who is somewhat broken (a rooster whisperer is a talent new to me). His name is "Yeti", pronounced Yeah-teh' , he's a silkie.
I would like to hatch eggs. From the information I have gathered I have some questions. Does the chicken have to sit constantly on the eggs for the full 21 days or for 48 hours. Has anyone heard of chickens sharing the broody role? e.g., it appears that all three of the birds are rotating care of the eggs. All are very careful around the eggs they all take turns; rotating, counting, turning, and sitting on the eggs although it is the rooster that sleeps on them. They are not aggressive with me (with the exception of an occasional outburst from yeti, who needs to be reminded who is in charge), but after I clean the coop, they go and do a quick egg check. I'm concerned because they are not sitting on them all the time. Is this a problem?

So sorry you lost your rooster.
hugs.gif
There is no way to keep them at bay. All you can do is make sure your coop and run is secure at all times. Coons and other varmints are a fact of life. Get rid of one and another moves in. So the best thing you can do is build a fort knox.

You might also stop by our Predators forums for help with how to stop them from getting into your coop and run...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I was going to say that I would be concerned about the rooster sleeping on the eggs as they need to be turned regularly, and kept a the proper temperature and humidity, and I've never heard of a rooster doing that sort of thing. However, obviously the rooster isn't sleeping on them any longer. I'm sorry you lost him to a raccoon. TwoCrows is right about building your coop like Fort Knox, and making sure that you lock your flock up at night. Now that the coon has made a meal of your rooster, you can be certain that he will be back for more. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with the remainder of your flock.

Yes, some hens do share the broody activity but, I would think with two hens, the eggs would never be uncovered. A broody hen is very reluctant to leave the nest and often has to be forced outside to eat, drink and poo- 2 or 3 times a day. With hens sharing the work, I would expect some hen would always be on the eggs. With silkie roos, often they do cover the eggs and later protect the chicks.

Are they truly broody and staying on the eggs most of the day. Or are they playing musical eggs while practicing being a broody? I think they are first timers and not really serious .With everyone turning and fussing with the eggs, I wonder if it is too much

Most broodies have a fit if anyone comes near their nest, they growl, hiss, and bite with hackles up and eyes that would kill. They do sound quite nonchalant about it all. They may be just mellow birds or not intent on hatching a brood.

How long has she(they) been sitting on them? Is one or another on the eggs most of the day? If they frequently wonder off and scratch and dig - and act like everyday chickens _ I don't think they will hatch any eggs.

Do you have an incubator to see this thru for 21 or so days?

Hello and :welcome!

Drumstick diva has gave you some good information and if you would like to read up on this, www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs. It even talks of the broody hens!

Also if you would like to post pictures of your chicks you can do so here, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/39/pictures-stories-of-my-chickens. We all love to see chickens and if they hatch the babies too!

And finally, all new members that have joined up can go here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/885886/welcome-to-byc-sign-up-and-win. It's a contest for a new members. Follow this link and you could be the big winner!

:jumpy

images

Welcome to BYC!

You have been given some great advice here so I will just welcome you to our flock! If she is broody, I wish you a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom