New Duck House, not too happy.

Lazlo Icebe

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2023
I have a question on changing duck houses. My ducklings have just gone out to their new outside house. It’s a large grass run with a house under cover that I can lock them up at night from predators. They LOVE the outside but refuse to go into the house. I have put them in there with thier favorite treats and they dash outside of it. It’s the same bedding, I even put in their stuffed an animal they had in the brooder. Funny, they always put them selfs to bed when in my office. I opened up the brooder to let them run around and by dusk they were in bed ready for me to shut the door. Now they squawk at dusk to be taken out of the new digs. I broke down and put their old brooder cage in a shed and carry them into it at night but I would love for them to go into the new house to sleep. Any suggestions on how to make them like it? The only difference between the 2 is the brooder was a wire dog crate and the new house is a wood duck house. I guess it’s different but not so much to absolutely hate it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My geese were the same way!

You could force them to sleep in their house by temporarily screwing a barrier of hardware fabric against the door. Pick ‘em up and physically walk them into the house, then close it up. After a few nights they should get the idea.

For my ducks, I just shoved them in and stood in front of the doorway for a few minutes and they got the hang of it…but my geese still refuse to sleep in their house. I have given up the battle for now, will try again when cold weather hits :).

Can you post some pictures of the new duck house please?
going from wire (lots of air and light) to wood (less air and less light ) may be why.. are there enough windows for ventilation on the new house? Minimum of 1 sq ft per duck covered in 1/2 in hardware cloth secured well
Is there a ramp they dont do well on ramps either

Ducks don’t like change and take a few days to a week to adjust to new things
Once they adjust they will be fine
Even if I move where the feed goes it sets mine off
It took me a few days to get my ducks to feel safe and enjoy the new duck house
With my youngest ones ( 5 weeks ) I have been taking them out with me while I clean the poo each day so they get use to it that way it won’t be as scary when I move them out there next week

Can you post some pictures of the new duck house please?
going from wire (lots of air and light) to wood (less air and less light ) may be why.. are there enough windows for ventilation on the new house? Minimum of 1 sq ft per duck covered in 1/2 in hardware cloth secured well
Is there a ramp they dont do well on ramps either
Im at work now so I cant take a picture but I can answer your questions. There is no ramp. There is a bit of a step up verses the the wire crate but it’s only about 2 inches. Shouldn’t be a problem as I had 4 inches of plexiglass glass around the wire crate and they would jump over to get into their house and put themselves to sleep. The new one is solid wood but has ventilation holes on top about 2 inches wide x 8 on each side and the front door is wire mesh. It’s 16 X 24 inches. I only have 2 ducks. There should be plenty of ventilation but I think it being mostly solid is what’s turning them off. I was thinking of just putting them in there and locking the door a couple of nights to get use to it but I also don't want to freak them out about it even more.

Im at work now so I cant take a picture but I can answer your questions. There is no ramp. There is a bit of a step up verses the the wire crate but it’s only about 2 inches. Shouldn’t be a problem as I had 4 inches of plexiglass glass around the wire crate and they would jump over to get into their house and put themselves to sleep. The new one is solid wood but has ventilation holes on top about 2 inches wide x 8 on each side and the front door is wire mesh. It’s 16 X 24 inches. I only have 2 ducks. There should be plenty of ventilation but I think it being mostly solid is what’s turning them off. I was thinking of just putting them in there and locking the door a couple of nights to get use to it but I also don't want to freak them out about it even more.
thats good! so i think its just that ducks hate anything new anyway but in time it wont be new anymore and they will get used to it .

My geese were the same way!

You could force them to sleep in their house by temporarily screwing a barrier of hardware fabric against the door. Pick ‘em up and physically walk them into the house, then close it up. After a few nights they should get the idea.

For my ducks, I just shoved them in and stood in front of the doorway for a few minutes and they got the hang of it…but my geese still refuse to sleep in their house. I have given up the battle for now, will try again when cold weather hits :).
Thank you so much!!

Ducks don’t like change and take a few days to a week to adjust to new things
Once they adjust they will be fine
Even if I move where the feed goes it sets mine off
It took me a few days to get my ducks to feel safe and enjoy the new duck house
With my youngest ones ( 5 weeks ) I have been taking them out with me while I clean the poo each day so they get use to it that way it won’t be as scary when I move them out there next week
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom