New Duck Introduction/Integration Thread

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
I've read a lot of threads on here about integrating a new duck into the flock, but most of them honestly are very short, not a lot of comments, and often highly situation specific. If this already exists somewhere else feel free to point me in that direction, but if not, I'd love for us to have a more general thread about introducing new ducks to a flock. I'd love to hear from a variety of people to get an idea of what most people do, or reasoning behind the outliers. I'm mostly thinking about adult duck introductions here as I think there are a lot of threads more specific to introducing younger ducks to a flock.

• How long do keep them separated before letting them mingle?

• Quarantine - if new duck comes from questionable background but appears to be fine, what are we looking for? How long do folks like to wait in that situation?

• When you integrate them do you sneak the new duck into the flock coop at night? Or release them all into free-range time together in the morning?

• At what point do you intervene if your flock is being mean to the newbie?

• Please share any and all tips for harmonious new duck introduction/integration!

I'll take question number 3 lol
ducks dont sleep all night like chickens
ducks are like teenage girls at a sleepover party
so, "sneaking" new ducks in at night wouldn't be good. impossible, in fact.
I let them out together free range in morning so I can watch what happens
oh my gosh, this is exactly what I was thinking when i saw people in various places talk about putting new ducks in the coop at night, but I hadn't come up with the hilarious and accurate way of wording it that you have :D

I've added ducks about 6 times now. I release the new ducks into the coop during the day with the duck door open so they can leave whenever they want. The new ducks can explore when they feel ready and they can hear the flock off free ranging.

They all bed down together. Sometimes (breeding season?) the flock is more agressive and other times the newbies are scared. I have pet playpen fencing to make an escape area for the new birds. (Like a 4-6" gap they can squeeze through but also stops chasing and casual bullying.)

I just added 4 girls today (too many drakes I don't want to cull.) They discovered the pool within 2 hours and are sleeping comfortably amongst the others. Previously was a group of Runners that really needed their own area and still didn't leave the coop after two weeks. I finally shooed them out into the run, then started herding them toward the flock, but they continued to want their own separate sleep area. They are integrated now but still like to stick together.

Same method used for geese, although they are more agressive about shooing any stranger to the fringes. I've had some geese that are an instant new gaggle, and another where the poor girl was kept away (even from her own goslings) months later.

I've added ducks about 6 times now. I release the new ducks into the coop during the day with the duck door open so they can leave whenever they want. The new ducks can explore when they feel ready and they can hear the flock off free ranging.

They all bed down together. Sometimes (breeding season?) the flock is more agressive and other times the newbies are scared. I have pet playpen fencing to make an escape area for the new birds. (Like a 4-6" gap they can squeeze through but also stops chasing and casual bullying.)

I just added 4 girls today (too many drakes I don't want to cull.) They discovered the pool within 2 hours and are sleeping comfortably amongst the others. Previously was a group of Runners that really needed their own area and still didn't leave the coop after two weeks. I finally shooed them out into the run, then started herding them toward the flock, but they continued to want their own separate sleep area. They are integrated now but still like to stick together.

Same method used for geese, although they are more agressive about shooing any stranger to the fringes. I've had some geese that are an instant new gaggle, and another where the poor girl was kept away (even from her own goslings) months later.
I just made a new post as our new duck is not integrating well. I had not seen your reply here before and just wanted to acknowledge it. It's weird as it's not breeding season and they had a good two weeks of getting to know her through a fence.

Back
Top Bottom