Kelseycita

Hatching
May 21, 2020
Hello there! I am new here but have been reading threads like crazy preparing for our new ducklings! They arrived safely today :):):) I have a question about grit that I cannot find an answer to.
For grit, should I be buying store bought chick grit, or would a scoop of dirt from there future duck pen area work? They are 3 days old now and have just been eating Mazuri waterfowl start for now, but I’d love to introduce them to greens and peas as soon as possible and I know they will need grit for that.

Also, when can I start taking them to the pen to practice foraging?

Thank you! :)

A lot of people ask this, and the point is, only if your soil composition is sandy/rocky, if it's not, their not going to be able to get anything out of it. Chick grit is much better.

.............Welcome to BYC!

I will get some pics ASAP! :) they are sooo cute. So I did buy some chick grit, and now my next question is how should I give it to them? They are about a week old, can they have finely chopped kale yet? And when are they old enough to forage in their pen for a little bit? Thank you much :)

I will get some pics ASAP! :) they are sooo cute. So I did buy some chick grit, and now my next question is how should I give it to them? They are about a week old, can they have finely chopped kale yet? And when are they old enough to forage in their pen for a little bit? Thank you much :)

Just set in a small separate dish and they will eat as needed. Kale would be fine, just chop it finely, you can take them out now, just watch them.

Back
Top Bottom