New duck mum

Hayleyandbrit

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
Hi, I've joined this forum to try to get to the bottom of a mystery. I have a duck thst has been hand reared. She is 5 months old and mostly lives in the house. She is very tame and enjoys a good snuggle on the couch. About a week ago she greats me by squatting down into a laying down position and putting her head down low to the ground. I originally thought that she had somehow been traumatised and this was a self preservation type pose, but my sister pointed out that she really only does it with me and only after I haven't seen her for a few hours. It's definitely a behavioural thing, she is not physically sick. Anyone had the same experience or knows what's up with her?

That is what females do with drakes to tell them they want to mate. She's pretty much flirting with you. Female chickens do this too if they're very tame like you duck is. You're lucky it's a girl, the drake version of this is to bite and pinch you so you'll lay down in that position. My drake is doing that to me.

She may figure out that you're not a drake, but she also might not care. I used to only have three females and they would take turns playing the role of the male.

I agree, be glad she's not a he.

She may stop or do it less in the winter because they aren't raising ducklings in the winter or she may do it all the time I can't say for certain. Nothings wrong and she's not scared of you so don't be worried.

Back
Top Bottom