New ducklings!! Tips?

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
I have 3 khaki Campbell 2 week old babies on their way! So far we’ve been setting up for their arrival and I needed a bit of advice. It’s been 3 years since I’ve received new ducklings and I don’t want to mess up!

1.) is straw okay for bedding? I’ve always used shavings but our shipment is unfortunately a day late so we won’t be getting them the same day as our ducks (I have hay as well, if that is better)

2.) is Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes a good daily supplement?

3.) can 2 week old ducklings have adult food or will I need duckling food still?

4.) what is the ideal temperature for ducks this age? I don’t want them to overheat.

Thanks for any advice!!

I have 3 khaki Campbell 2 week old babies on their way! So far we’ve been setting up for their arrival and I needed a bit of advice. It’s been 3 years since I’ve received new ducklings and I don’t want to mess up!

1.) is straw okay for bedding? I’ve always used shavings but our shipment is unfortunately a day late so we won’t be getting them the same day as our ducks (I have hay as well, if that is better)

2.) is Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes a good daily supplement?

3.) can 2 week old ducklings have adult food or will I need duckling food still?

4.) what is the ideal temperature for ducks this age? I don’t want them to overheat.

Thanks for any advice!!
I have 2 week old ducklings
I’m just switching them from starter feed to grower feed
I also add nutritional yeast 1tbs per 1 cup of feed as I can’t get duck feed where I am and have to use chicken feed
I have a heat plate but my little ones are inside still and hardly use it
Around 75 if using a heat lamp but just watch them to see if they are to warm then turn it down
My ducks by 3 weeks stopped using heat completely
Make sure babies have deep enough water to dunk their heads to clean eyes and nose
I used straw for my first ones but rather the shavings now
You can start giving treats as well but make sure you provide chick grit to help digest
Congrats and enjoy having little ones around :)

I have 2 week old ducklings
I’m just switching them from starter feed to grower feed
I also add nutritional yeast 1tbs per 1 cup of feed as I can’t get duck feed where I am and have to use chicken feed
I have a heat plate but my little ones are inside still and hardly use it
Around 75 if using a heat lamp but just watch them to see if they are to warm then turn it down
My ducks by 3 weeks stopped using heat completely
Make sure babies have deep enough water to dunk their heads to clean eyes and nose
I used straw for my first ones but rather the shavings now
You can start giving treats as well but make sure you provide chick grit to help digest
Congrats and enjoy having little ones around :)
Thanks! The temperature right now DIRECTLY under the heat lamp is 85F so I’ll raise the lamp a bit. I made sure they have plenty of space to escape the heat if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom