New Egg New to New Jersey!

I too live in South Jersey. I have no chickens yet but plan to start in the Spring. It is a shame there is no local chicken club or is there and I missed it. Good luck with your chickens.

Hello! I could definitely use a chicken "club" sine I need so much advice! Of course this first winter for us doesn't seem as though it is going to be an easy one. Our chicks are able to tolerate cold but I worry about them, since we have no heater in the coop just a heated waterer plus we have had a good amount of rain and wind which confines them to the run I am hoping in the spring to extend that a little. I do let them free range under supervision that is! But I don't have loads of time to be outside with them, not to mention the cold! We are currently dealing with our "extra" roo. I am afraid to place him on craigs list as others have suggested because I feel he will end up in some ones soup pot. Idealy I would prefer to have only hens since I do not really want to hatch chicks. But since I already have two, I will keep one and am trying to rehome the other. I have silkies who are not supposed to be as aggressive as some breeds but they really fight and have beaten each other up pretty badly in the last couple of days so I have no choice, they just cant live together. My friend knows someone at the Norristown (PA) Zoo she said they may be able to take him if I don't find someone. All these problems and at Holiday time...oh well seems to be the story of my life. Lets keep in touch. I live between Voorhees and Berlin Have a Merry Christmas

I live in Marlton but closer to Berlin. I just found out that we are not allowed to have chickens in Marlton Lakes. If you ever have to travel and need a chicken-tender, give me a holler. Meanwhile, I will keep reading about it. I was also going to have a beehive but with 3 nephews living with us, my wife said no. Her grandfather gave me a bee box. I think I will change my user name to frustratedwannabefarmer. Take care.

WELCOME ABOARD THE NJ CHICKEN TRAIN!!! I am from North Jersey in Passaic County (15 mins from NYC) and I have a laying flock! It is good to see that chickens are on the rise in the GARDEN STATE!!! Best of luck with your chickens!!

Wow that is sad that you cant have them. I can understand not being able to have dozens that free range and I have heard people say that some towns don't allow roosters but a couple chickies??...and they are quieter than dogs! We went to the farm auction in Tabernacle tonight and bought another hen. We have silkies and they are small, tonight we bought an Americana hen She seems giant next to my silkies it was dark when we got home so they haven't been introduced yet, I hope they can get along! I still have the issue of my two roosters but I will figure that out. My father in law who passed 2 years ago at age 94 was a beekeeper for over fifty years, he loved it and said his bees never stung him because they knew him. He helped BCC start a backyard beekeeping program because the bee population is dying off. When he was sick he asked me to bring his hives to my house but I am alittle afraid of bees and there is no way I am taking their honey and ticking them off! We live in Gibbsboro, when I tell most people that they have never heard of it but I am sure you have, so yes lets keep in touch my email is [email protected]

Thanks U am going to check that out...another ? totally off subject ...r u truly a magician, the slight of hand type or a pagan sole?...I practice green witchcraft

Welcome. I also am new to NJ. Moved here from NC in July. I currently have one hen but I am looking to get a few others this spring.

Welcome to BYC From Riverside California!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom