New Eggs! Can you confirm?

Ambersquared

Chirping
Sep 7, 2022
Delaware County, Pennsylvania, USA
Hello!
I’m a first time chicken momma and when I went out to let my gals out this morning I found two eggs on the ground under their roosting bar.
As you can see in the pic the shells are cracked and seemed a little weak and small.
I’ve read numerous posts on here and would like to confirm if my understanding is correct (please correct me if I’m wrong)

• It can take a few weeks for the hens to work out the kinks to get strong and large eyes
  • Layer feed is not yet needed since all hens are not yet laying. Once all hens are laying you can switch to layer feed
  • Oyster shells should be added in a separate tray for the laying gals to supplement as needed, even when switching to layer feed
  • Nesting boxes can have dummy eggs to encourage laying there vs the roosting bar
Is my understanding correct?

Next to try and figure out who laid them. 😅

Attachments

• 242BC62F-7B85-488D-BE5F-CF19CB3BFE64.jpeg
    242BC62F-7B85-488D-BE5F-CF19CB3BFE64.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I have 4 Rhode Island Red hens and when they started laying the first few eggs were also small and week and it took them a few tries to figure out where to lay. Since we have a few younger ducks that aren’t laying yet we are giving them non laying food. But oyster shells are a great addition to their diet for the laying girls.

I’ve read numerous posts on here and would like to confirm if my understanding is correct (please correct me if I’m wrong)

• It can take a few weeks for the hens to work out the kinks to get strong and large eyes
  • Layer feed is not yet needed since all hens are not yet laying. Once all hens are laying you can switch to layer feed
  • Oyster shells should be added in a separate tray for the laying gals to supplement as needed, even when switching to layer feed
  • Nesting boxes can have dummy eggs to encourage laying there vs the roosting bar
Is my understanding correct?
Yes.

What are you feeding them now? Layer feed has two things going for it: It's usually cheaper, and it has calcium included in it.

The real downside is: Its protein percentage. It's 16% (or thereabouts), which is why it's cheaper. That is the lowest percentage that commercial egg producers have found keeps the chickens producing eggs. If they could make it even lower, they would. A couple of pennies saved adds up to massive profits at their scale.

You're not producing eggs at that scale. Spend the money to give your girls a higher protein feed, if you can. You're already giving them oyster shell (good!), which is necessary if you feed a higher protein, not-so-high calcium feed.

If you can't find dummy eggs, you can use golf balls.

Congratulations on your eggs! First eggs are magical.

18%-20% All Flock feed would be a good choice - you can feed ducks and chickens and chicks and roosters all at the same time on that. Provide calcium on the side in the form of oyster shell (and of course separate grit) for the layers. Slightly pricier than 16% protein layer feed, but if you feed any treats or they free range at all, it dilutes the protein they are consuming in the 16% feed to where they will be not getting enough. This can lead to feather picking (very bad behavior hard to eradicate) and other undesirable behaviors.

Also you'll see an increase in general health and possibly egg size(?) with increase in protein.

Super cute eggs! Congratulations!!! Usually takes new layers about a month to work the kinks out, in my experience. May take a few months for those pullet eggs to reach full size. Enjoy the journey!

Yes.

What are you feeding them now? Layer feed has two things going for it: It's usually cheaper, and it has calcium included in it.

The real downside is: Its protein percentage. It's 16% (or thereabouts), which is why it's cheaper. That is the lowest percentage that commercial egg producers have found keeps the chickens producing eggs. If they could make it even lower, they would. A couple of pennies saved adds up to massive profits at their scale.

You're not producing eggs at that scale. Spend the money to give your girls a higher protein feed, if you can. You're already giving them oyster shell (good!), which is necessary if you feed a higher protein, not-so-high calcium feed.

If you can't find dummy eggs, you can use golf balls.

Congratulations on your eggs! First eggs are magical.
Thank you so much for this!
I am feeding them scratch and peck grower feed which is I believe 17% protein and I was going to move up to the 18% layer feed when all the gals start laying. This is all so exciting thank you for the golf ball tips!

18%-20% All Flock feed would be a good choice - you can feed ducks and chickens and chicks and roosters all at the same time on that. Provide calcium on the side in the form of oyster shell (and of course separate grit) for the layers. Slightly pricier than 16% protein layer feed, but if you feed any treats or they free range at all, it dilutes the protein they are consuming in the 16% feed to where they will be not getting enough. This can lead to feather picking (very bad behavior hard to eradicate) and other undesirable behaviors.

Also you'll see an increase in general health and possibly egg size(?) with increase in protein.

Super cute eggs! Congratulations!!! Usually takes new layers about a month to work the kinks out, in my experience. May take a few months for those pullet eggs to reach full size. Enjoy the journey!
Thank you so much for this information and all the great tips! I will definitely invest in higher protein feed!

:thumbsup

If you don't see "all flock" specifically, look for "flock maker" or "grower" something like that name. Different brands call it by different names. It's the protein percentage you're interested in. The brand I buy, Kalmbach, is Flock Maker 20%.
Thank you! I use scratch and peck grower feed now but it’s only 17% protein. They have an 18% layer feed I was considering moving over to when all the gals start laying but I’ll definitely research for other options too!

The reason I went with a 20% protein feed is because I like to give them some treats, and I didn't want to dilute the protein percentage too much.

I mean, how can you NOT want to give them treats, right?

But, and it's a big but, treats should not be more than 10% of what they eat. So their usual treat is their feed, wetted to make a mash, about the consistency of thick oatmeal. It's also their favorite treat, too. It's your regular food, silly birds! :gig

Another good thing about doing this: I can save the powdery bits that they don't eat in the bottom of their feed bowls for this purpose. I have VERY little feed waste.

It can also be "dressed up" with some greens or other kitchen/garden scraps. Or made with warm water in the winter, or cold water in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom