New feed... Butchered birds showing breastbone deformities? Dying of fatness?

Jrose

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2013
I've recently butchered 4 roosters that had a deformed breastbone. The first one I thought "Oh wow, he came out funny! Just a fluke." Then the next 3 I butcher (over the span of 2 weeks) were each prograssively more deformed. The last bird's pectoral process, the big boney ridge that divides the breast muscles, whatever its technical term is, was almost collapsed looking and distinctly S shaped near the bottom. I could feel his deformity through his feathers when he was alive! Their muscles have been healthy and robust regardless, no sign of atrophy or illness in the birds. The breast muscles were just shaped/adapted to the curve.

These roosters were all from the 2019 season. Adults, but young yet. The first dozen or so butchered roosters did not have any deformity. But the last 4 have had increasingly deformed breastbones. These roosters are in an enclosed aviary with no access to free range or forage, just their formulated feed, some hay/bedding, and dirt/substrate. Their genetics range between marans, ameraucanas, and cemanis. They are not interbred. I have never seen this before, having raised thousands of birds and butchered hundreds of them.

I've also lost 2 birds without warning. They looked the picture of health. These birds were free ranging and had access to abundant diverse feed, pellets were not their only food source. I opened both of them up and found their body cavities completely impacted with fat. Solid gobs of fat. Their skin thick and heavy with fat as well. One was a Fayoumi rooster, the other a buff orpington. The rooster died in the fall, 2 months after switching to the new feed, the orpington died in December.
I've only seen this once before and it was a ranger who died with a body cavity completely blocked by solid fat. I figured it was genetics on that one. But a fayoumi dying of fatness??? 3 of the roosters I've butchered this winter have also had dangerous levels of fat in their bodies, though it hadn't killed them before I did. All these birds looked otherwise healthy inside and out. I should note though that I've also butchered many this winter that weren't worryingly fat.
The few roosters left in my butcher pen are losing condition in their feathers as well in the last few weeks. The flock that free ranges doesn't seem to be having this problem.

I'm wondering about the new feed. Problems started 2 months after we switched feed. We had none of these issues last winter on our old feed. And I've never really seen these problems before in general. When we switched, egg laying went down and the chicken obesity started showing up. I have to supplement protein to keep production up. It's supposed to be 18% formulated feed, local/unbranded.

Any thoughts on what causes these two ailments and could they be feed related? I'm not sure what the root of the problem is; mineral imbalance, improper caolrie ratio, etc. Could the problems be combatted with supplementation? We bought 7 tons of these pellets to get us through to next year, so we still have quite a bit to get through.

The S shaped breast or keel bone are thought to be due to heredity, mineral deficiencies, and roost problems. Fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, overeating, nutritional issues can be causes of the fat in chickens. Most commercial feeds that are pelleted or crumbles can prevent them from picking out favorite goodies in feed. I would probably switch to a well known commercial brand and see if it makes a difference, but it sounds like you go through a lot of feed. Any extras can dilute the nutrition of your feed.

Vionate or Poultry Booster (by Rooster Booster) are 2 vitamin mineral supplements available online or in feed stores that do not not have unneeded electrolytes, and can be added to feed a couple of days a week. You can add a few drops of vegetable oil or water to help them cling to the feed.

I've recently butchered 4 roosters that had a deformed breastbone. The first one I thought "Oh wow, he came out funny! Just a fluke." Then the next 3 I butcher (over the span of 2 weeks) were each prograssively more deformed. The last bird's pectoral process, the big boney ridge that divides the breast muscles, whatever its technical term is, was almost collapsed looking and distinctly S shaped near the bottom. I could feel his deformity through his feathers when he was alive! Their muscles have been healthy and robust regardless, no sign of atrophy or illness in the birds. The breast muscles were just shaped/adapted to the curve.

These roosters were all from the 2019 season. Adults, but young yet. The first dozen or so butchered roosters did not have any deformity. But the last 4 have had increasingly deformed breastbones. These roosters are in an enclosed aviary with no access to free range or forage, just their formulated feed, some hay/bedding, and dirt/substrate. Their genetics range between marans, ameraucanas, and cemanis. They are not interbred. I have never seen this before, having raised thousands of birds and butchered hundreds of them.

I've also lost 2 birds without warning. They looked the picture of health. These birds were free ranging and had access to abundant diverse feed, pellets were not their only food source. I opened both of them up and found their body cavities completely impacted with fat. Solid gobs of fat. Their skin thick and heavy with fat as well. One was a Fayoumi rooster, the other a buff orpington. The rooster died in the fall, 2 months after switching to the new feed, the orpington died in December.
I've only seen this once before and it was a ranger who died with a body cavity completely blocked by solid fat. I figured it was genetics on that one. But a fayoumi dying of fatness??? 3 of the roosters I've butchered this winter have also had dangerous levels of fat in their bodies, though it hadn't killed them before I did. All these birds looked otherwise healthy inside and out. I should note though that I've also butchered many this winter that weren't worryingly fat.
The few roosters left in my butcher pen are losing condition in their feathers as well in the last few weeks. The flock that free ranges doesn't seem to be having this problem.

I'm wondering about the new feed. Problems started 2 months after we switched feed. We had none of these issues last winter on our old feed. And I've never really seen these problems before in general. When we switched, egg laying went down and the chicken obesity started showing up. I have to supplement protein to keep production up. It's supposed to be 18% formulated feed, local/unbranded.

Any thoughts on what causes these two ailments and could they be feed related? I'm not sure what the root of the problem is; mineral imbalance, improper caolrie ratio, etc. Could the problems be combatted with supplementation? We bought 7 tons of these pellets to get us through to next year, so we still have quite a bit to get through.
I think you've answered your own question.
If your free range flock isn't having this problem and it all went wrong after the feed change then the feed would seem the most likely culprit.
If you've bought seven tons of this feed unless you have a huge flock the feed will be long past it's use by date very quickly.
If you are feeding any commercial feed then it needs to be fresh. The feed you have is already two months old apparently and I wouldn't feed the chickens here feed that old.
Chicken diet for longevity and health is a complicated subject. The commercial feeds supply the bare minimum or nutrition to keep the chicken alive.
It would be interesting to know if you free ranged all the chickens whether this problem (the fat and overall health) disappeared.

Hm... The roost factor is interesting. The roosters in the aviary have started roosting outside, versus in the coop. The outdoor roosts/perches are large, thick branches. I did actually think to myself that that S shape looks like it would fit perfectly over those branches. But then I thought "there's no way that roosting on a branch would actually warp a developed bone in an adult bird". The roosters I butchered earlier on that did not have this problem were still roosting in the coop in their aviary.

I don't suspect a calcium deficiency simply because egg shell health has been good in the flock. I would think I'd see bigger issues in the laying hens if calcium was affecting the development of the roosters?

Whatever it is, it isn't genetic. I had nothing like this happen with the last crop of birds from the same parents, and I have a rather large breeding flock of many different breeds.

The grain supplier switched from milled raw grains to pellets last fall, I wasn't happy about that. We get snowed in for 4-6 months and have no choice but to stock up before winter hits. We have to have a 6-7 months supply going into winter. I've never had a problem with keeping whole or milled raw grains before, which is what I've always fed. Maybe pellet storage different?

We're in a pickle for feed. Almost no one in our area sells grain by the ton, except this guy who switched to making pellets. We're scrambling to find a new feed source for 2020.

The two birds that died from internal fat build up were free ranging, which shocks me. Unfortunately the only birds I want to cull are the ones I've separated out and confined. So unless I have birds die unexpectedly, I probably won't know if there's fat build up in the free ranging flock right now. But the confined roosters have been hit and miss; some are fatty, some are at a healthy normal.

Talk to your feed supplier! This sounds like an issue with your feed, and see if the supplier cares enough to have samples tested for you. You can have it done, and it can be expensive. Also talk to your state veterinary lab about this.
It's not possible to add 'suppliments' without knowing what the issues actually are.
I agree that your feed is already not fresh, and that's not so good either.
I think something went wrong at the mill...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom