new flock

Redwolf141

Chirping
Feb 15, 2016
Johnstown Pa
Ok was not sure where to post this so I hope I am in the right spot. I am ordering my Chicks hopefully tomorrow I can only get four for now to start. I have it narrowed down to One black sex link, one Barred Rock one Speckled Sussex and one Australorp..,however my girlfriend has decided she wants a either A silver or Golden Wyandotte and to keep the piece I think it may be a good Idea to get her one,but which of the four I picked for egg production would u get rid of, and will this be a good start to a small flock.

Well for sure keep the Black Sex Link and the Australorp. Really, because stuff just happens, especially with chicks, and because you could even end up with a rooster I would just add a 5th one on. We ordered 10 chicks and one died on day 3 after we got it. I always wished that I had gotten two of that breed like I did some of the others!

Well for sure keep the Black Sex Link and the Australorp. Really, because stuff just happens, especially with chicks, and because you could even end up with a rooster I would just add a 5th one on. We ordered 10 chicks and one died on day 3 after we got it. I always wished that I had gotten two of that breed like I did some of the others!

Very good advice.

CT

Ok I think I will start my flock with 1 black sex link, 2 australorp, 2 Speckled sussex,Opinions anyone?

Sounds like as good a start as any IMO. Everyone has their own favourite breeds, so if you ask 20 people, you are likely to get as many different answers. If you buy either point of lay or at least 4 week old chicks, it will speed up the process and reduce the chances of mortality. Gender will be assured if you go for point of lay birds = no cockerels!
wee.gif

CT

CT Ken I talked to myers,today they will only sale day old chicks I wanted older pullets it I will have to go with chicks. I am only 20 minutes uses from myers poultry so it will be nice to deal local. I would have much rather went with older chicks or pullets.

CT Ken I talked to myers,today they will only sale day old chicks I wanted older pullets it I will have to go with chicks. I am only 20 minutes uses from myers poultry so it will be nice to deal local. I would have much rather went with older chicks or pullets.

Oh well, thats the way it goes i guess. At least you are close the Myers so you can always go back and get some more!!
big_smile.png

All the best
CT

Oh well, thats the way it goes i guess. At least you are close the Myers so you can always go back and get some more!! :D

All the best
CT
it is,funny they said I had to get them the week of March 14th. I guess because I am buying such a small,amount. I don't know.

it is,funny they said I had to get them the week of March 14th. I guess because I am buying such a small,amount. I don't know.

Me no clue. Have you gone onto your state thread? There may be some members local to you that could point you towards other sources of birds? You never know, some members may have birds they are willing to sell?

CT

Me no clue. Have you gone onto3 your state thread? There may be some members local to you that could point you towards other sources of birds? You never know, some members may have birds they are willing to sell? 

CT
i did not know we had a state thread. I cant fimd it if we do.

Back
Top Bottom