New From Alaska

PandoraTaylor

RT Poultry n Things
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Alaska
I am new here and just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I am a 45 year old married Female, all my children are grown with their own families now. (grandchildren 9 currently)

We just started with the chickens this summer, but the first 4 are 14 months old Black Sex Link Hens & laying.

Then we bought 35 Chicks:

2- New Hampshire Reds hatched May 25th,2009
5- Brahma Lights hatched May 25th, 2009
5- Barred Rocks hatched May25th, 2009
23- Black Sex link hatched June 1, 2009

I am not new to animals or birds as I have been doing rescue work for years. Parrots, Dogs etc...

so the story behind the hens; is my sister gave me her two when she thought she was moving.
The other Two came from her Friend, who started with 4 hens & a Rooster, that a dog broke in a killed 2 hens & the Roo. so he is giving up and going to restart next year, so I have 2 hens from him.

Currently everyone is separated into pens of their own as none have been here a full 30 days yet.

The babies are in a wooden 7'x4' Box with a heat lamp.
Sisters hens in a 4'x 9.5 Hutch & run (2x4 & Wire).
Friends hens in a 4'x7' Coop.

Most of the books I have seen/purchased are by people living in warmer Climates than mine.....
so I am searching and researching different ideas for coops, nesting boxes etc....

Thank you.

welcome-byc.gif

I know there are some on here from Alaska and northern Canada so I'm sure you can get some great advice.

Welcome to the addiction!

Hello
Im in Salcha, Alakska, (just south of Fairbanks) if you need any help you know where I am.
Where are you?

Chickens are hardy beasts, you"ll have no trouble in the winter...

The book are for warmer climates, but just use you instincts, and the chickens can handle very cold weather. It was -50 here this winter and the chickens were just kept in an insulated coop, and they layed all through...although the eggs froze right away
smile.png

Give me a shout!

woot.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Another Alaskan!!! Yay!
We're on the Kenai Peninsula, and have LOTS of birds!
Welcome to the boards!!!

(Hey RedTail... how are your eggies doing?
big_smile.png
)

I'm new on the boards. Living in Missouri but came here from Alaska (add suitible whine!) Used to live in Eagle River.
I have mostly mutt chickens their blood lines come from Silkie, Americana bantam, barred Rock, Seabright, Bantam Cochin and Old English Game. I do have a full sized Americana pullet and a Barred Rock hen along with several silkies, two Burbon Red turkey poults, a peahen, a couple of cockatiels and a 100 pound chocolate lab. All of whom think I am their personal maid. Widowed and looking for work in between babysitting my feathered children
Terri

(Hey RedTail... how are your eggies doing?
big_smile.png
)

Still cooking, I hope they do OK.... had some humidity issues? What do you think (without hijacking this thread)

smile.png

Quote:
Still cooking, I hope they do OK.... had some humidity issues? What do you think (without hijacking this thread)

smile.png

I'll PM you... don't want to clutter here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom