New from frederick county, Virginia

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

We have a Delaware rooster, a Sussex rooster and 19 hens (brahmas, black australorps, turkins, Faverolles, Delawares, a Cochin, a red red sex link, a Dominique and speckled Sussex.
As two became broody at the end of summer, we also have 7 peeps that were born Aug 30- Sep 5th or 7th. One I'm sure is a rooster, the rest we will soon find out. Curious what the resulting crosses end up becoming.

You have a really nice mix of good laying dual purpose breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Red Sex Links are hardy, egg laying machines. You will get loads of eggs from that lady. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks. I think I like the Australorps and Turkins most followed by the Brahmas.
I agree with your description of the Australorps too. They are too shy to let me pick them up. They were all full grown and laying when we got them though.1.5-2 years I think.

Thanks. I think I like the Australorps and Turkins most followed by the Brahmas.
I agree with your description of the Australorps too. They are too shy to let me pick them up. They were all full grown and laying when we got them though.1.5-2 years I think.

It definitely helps with any breed to start handling them when they are still chicks. My children and granddaughter were handling ours practically from hatching.

Poultry update:
Of the 7 peeps that hatched from our broody girls (aug31-sep 17), two are definitely roosters. They crowed today for the first time. After watching them closely and seeing their temperaments (males are unafraid whereas females are timid) and their combs develop I'm worried I have 5 boys and 2 girls.
Since we already have 21 adults including two roosters, we wouldn't be able to keep them all unless we brought in more hens. I don't want them killing each other and anyone that knows me realizes the problem. I can't bear to part with them.

Post pictures of your juveniles, and we can tell you which ones are cockerels and which ones are pullets.

If you can't bear to part with them, you could build them their own bachelor pad. Often, roosters can get along with each other if they grew up together and there are no hens to fight over.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens
wink.png
!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom