New From Pittsburgh!

KenStorm989

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Folks! I’m Ken! Husband of a wonderful wife (who finally said YES to chickens) and Father of 2 boys, 7yrs and 6 months. I’m starting my flock in the spring and wow! This site is a super amazing resource! I live in the south eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh PA (Go Pens!) I originally had the idea to build this Huge coop and get 16 – 20 chickens right away, and take Eggs to my church and give them out to the elderly, Fresh Eggs and Fresh Smiles! That’s still the long term plan, but from reading, Big Coops can be an expensive investment, and Chickens seem like a good bit of work, and while I’ll have my 7 year old to help me, I think I’ll start with a small coop and about 2 or 3 chickens. So we can both learn together and then grow our flock as we feel comfortable doing so. It’s about the journey right? Not the destination? I’ve really tried to turn this into a Father/Son thing, and he is super interested and excited, at bed time we’ll sit on my tablet and read different articles and posts, and look at pictures of all your Coops and Flocks and talk about our ideas. I found a site that will let me order 3+ chicks in March, “Purely Poultry”, and I think we decided (WITH HELP FROM https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds ) That we like the Wyandotte breed. We have a good bit of area for the Chickens to run around and forage in. Super Excited about this (if you cant tell)

Please Please Please….any tips or tricks or advice about Chickens and Kids are welcome!

Thank you ALL for this wonderful community!

Ken

Hi, Ken, welcome to BYC. Chickens are social creatures : therefore, I recommend a minimum of 3 . That way if something happens to 1 , there are still 2 left to provide company for one another.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!

x2 on what Sourland said. Also I advise getting/making a coop bigger then what is normal for 3 chickens so you can expand if you would like. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck!

We want to move in the next year or two, so i was planning on keeping it simple with 3 until we move, maybe even put this first coop on wheels and then build the Chicken Palace at the new place...keep the first coop on wheels as a Juvenile coop in the future? thoughts?

We want to move in the next year or two, so i was planning on keeping it simple with 3 until we move, maybe even put this first coop on wheels and then build the Chicken Palace at the new place...keep the first coop on wheels as a Juvenile coop in the future? thoughts?
That sounds like a good plan!

G’Day from down under KenStorm989 Welcome!

I agree with sourland in that I started with just 2 and when we sadly lost one of them, there was a mad panic to find the remaining hen some company; they are definitely social creatures.

My son was all grown up when I started my chicken venture but I think it would have been nice to share it with him as you are your son.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Ken, thanks for joining us. Raising poultry is a wonderful hobby for the entire family, hope you all enjoy it!

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Back
Top Bottom