New from Sacramento

lynneb

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2015
Hi- My husband and I live in Sacramento County, he is just finishing the chicken coop he built, I am a little shocked, it's quite a bit larger than I had anticipated about 5X10 feet but part of that is the chicken "yard", we have a quarter acre but I'm afraid one of my dogs would try to have chicken for lunch so they while they will have plenty of room they won't be free range unless the dogs are in the house =). Early next week we will be getting chickens, I'm thinking 5 or 6 pullets. We don't want roosters we already had one neighbor sort of 'warn' us that he would be very unhappy if he ever heard a rooster in our yard =/

My questions are -
1) are there any breeds that don't get along well with other chickens?
2) which breeds are the most 'human friendly'
3) any suggestions about which breeds we should look for?
4) sources other than craigslist
5) should we vaccinate them?
Thanks in advance!
Lynne

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Be glad he built it larger, by experience I do know the original 5X10' coop/run is too small for 5-6 hens.

I have only a small flock of BO's and BR's but here's my opinion in response to your questions:

1- consider posting in the "where are you, where am I" forum for breeds that do well in your area. Research those breed characteristics for personality tendencies, appearance and egg laying habits that fit your expectations and needs. Stay away from those with flighty or aggressive tendencies.

2- Many are considered friendly - I love my BR's and BO's - and likely others will add to the list. But do realize that even among a breed, each will demonstrate a unique personality - some easier to handle and others skittish. Most resources list the BO as the most child friendly, but IMO they are pleasant ladies but go broody quite often and when they do they it causes discord in the flock and a challenge to collect the eggs they sit. My BR's have been easier to handle for routine care, but both breeds are lovable and fun to raise.

3- same comments as above.

4- there are more resources for acquiring baby chicks, but many breeders and commercial hatcheries offer pullets - My Pet Chicken is one source. Your area forums may point you to local breeders. A google search can also identify some of the local breeders. Your county agent may also have some resources to explore. If you have access to a local Agriculture Newsletter - many folks post their for sale pullets there. Do be careful if you select Craig's List, but many have been successful with that source.

5 - vaccination is a question about which I have a neutral opinion - here's a link with a good discussion you may find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1002629/vaccinations

Other opinion : raising your flock from baby chicks is an exciting beginning, but better started in the spring. Getting either sex-linked breeds or a reputable source that offers sexed chicks is 90% accurate. Starting with pullets will help avoid roosters ( as long as you know what to look for ) and will get you eggs sooner.

You should explore the learning center articles - there's loads of information there to help you get started and maintain a healthy flock.

Good luck in your new adventure.

welcome-byc.gif

Sunflour has given you excellent advice on the questions you raised. As far as the size of your coop/run...bigger is always better, chickens hate to feel crowded and will turn on each other if they are.

Based on a personal experience with getting chicks off Craigslist, I would not recommend it but others have been lucky with it. I think it's better to go with a breeder or a hatchery and most times, they will immunize for you if that's what you want to do. If you want more mature birds, you might check with a local 4H group to see if the kids have birds they've raised for sale.

To have the best luck of getting only girls, sex link chicks may be the best way for you to go. We have 3 Red Sex Link girls in our flock and they are some of the friendliest birds we have (plus they are amazing egg layers of large brown eggs).

Read up on the articles in the Learning Center, they will help you get off on the best foot with chickens. And of course, always feel free to ask questions.

Good luck!

Thanks so much to both of you for responding. . We have been researching but wow, there's a lot to learn. Both sets of Grandparents had chickens so I know a little of the basics about care but they didn't worry about personality, more about egg production. I can't tell you how many times a cranky hen chased me out of the coop when I was little. I haven't been able to find recent posts on this site about sources for buying chickens locally, but I did a google search and found this place which is about an hour from us & it seems reputable http://thepoultrypalace.com/ They have quite a variety of pullets. The breeds mentioned here BR and BO were two that I had been looking at (I actually have done a bit of research but some of it is confusing and contradictory). We don't have kids so that's not an issue, I just prefer more docile, easy to handle hens.

I searched the site for "Sacramento" but most of the discussions were about the zoning laws but I will keep looking!

Back
Top Bottom