New from South Central Los Angeles

jpulidol

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
South Central Los Angeles
Had chickens as a kid, I lived on a small five acre farm in Santa Paula, California. The chickens just roamed and we fed them once a day, this was back before free range was cool. Now I live in the very urban part of Los Angeles, South Central. I am starting a little flock of 20 Assorted Hens from Murrary McMurrary Hatchery and a few araucanas I hatched myself. I welcome any tips, suggestions and advice for keeping a flock in an urban area.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Good luck with your flock
thumbsup.gif

images

I am way out there, no where near the urban areas, so I can't help you there. :)

But I do welcome you to BYC and hope you enjoy your new babies!!

Oh and if you need any tips and hints on raising your new flock, you might check out our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I can't help you too much from personal experience as far as being in an urban area, but good luck with your city chicks!

welcome-byc.gif
You might put "urban chickens," in the search box and see if there is a thread concerning them. If not start one yourself - where people can offer their experience & advice.

Hello there,

We're also in South LA (Near Vermont and Jefferson) and we have 20 hens right now. Have you had any problems with predators in the city? I'd like to give them the chance to free range but there have been a ton of feral cats crawling through the yard.

Back
Top Bottom