New from Texas!

hconnolly98

Hatching
6 Years
May 28, 2013
North east texas
Hey, I'm Hannah. I don't have chickens of my own but my friend does and my sister just moved to a house where the previous owners had left there chickens and guineas. I am researching chickens and guineas so that I can help her make them a happy flock again :) there are two that I think are australorps (we named one Jackie chan for her squawking), one feather footed black hen, one white with black speckles feather footed hen (very big, the most curious), and two red chickens (possibly red stars? Not sure, one is quite thin and tends to disappear a lot). Then there are five mostly black guineas with white flecks, and one lighter one with dark flecks. We just got them some hen scratch and they are all happy to be fed again although they are still very freaked out by new dogs, and lots of activity. The first day we went out there we found 15 eggs scattered around the property, all brown, but since they've only laid one, not sure who's. hopefully they'll quit squawking at us and settle in soon and get back to laying. Not very friendly at the moment, but they are getting more curious as we continue to feed them, soon we will fix up the chicken coop and then start putting them in at night. Right now they are completely free range on three acres plus I don't think they're wings are clipped so they can get in the next door hay field and such, but they tend to stick around on the property. Very cute chickens! And very noisy alarm guineas!
Maybe I'll be able to get some pictures soon so I can figure out what breed they are...

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

What a nice addition to a new house - free chickens and guineas :)

Best of luck to you making friends with them and enjoy those nice brown eggs

Greetings from Kansas, Hannah, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Sounds like it's time for you to get a flock of your very own!!

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you have good ideas for dealing with them. , and they will thrive on your care. The skinny one that keeps disappearing may have a hidden nest/eggs or chicks somewhere. Either she wasn't getting enough to eat or may be thin because she needs worming. If you clip their wings - they lose predator protection -

Back
Top Bottom