New girl not feeling/acting so well... please help

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. As it turns out, all of you that responded were correct about my previous post- about all my "girls" beings cockerels. I ended up taking them to a farmer that is very kind and loving and actually was looking to breed the type of guys that I had.
Now here's my current issue... He had several hens that he was willing to part with and we chose a few of them. I had been looking for a lavender Orpington, but just couldn't find one. One of the girls the farmer was willing to trade me was a beautiful lavender color, but I am not sure what the breed is. Also, she is not acting 100% like she feels well. Rather hard to explain, because she eats and drinks, yet won't run around with the same vim and vigor as the other girls. Gave her NutriDrench since the day I got her. She sleeps a lot, more than what I would feel a bird her age normally would. (Not 100% sure on her age, but she does have a lot of her feathers in) She is also not easily "startled" and "aware" like girls that I've had in the past. I guess I am just super nervous for her wellbeing and want to do whatever I can to help her.
Any thoughts? Here are some pics from yesterday and today, not the best quality.
(We currently have her secluded in our sunroom)
Thanks so much in advance!
IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG
IMG_7638.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG

Last edited:
Oh dear. That is a very unwell looking chicken. You say she is eating and drinking ok but what is her poop like? Does her crop feel normal? Have you checked her over for wounds or any signs of parasites?
Keep her warm and isolated and monitor her food and water intake and poop output for the time being. Was she standing like this since you got her or does it seem to be getting worse?

H
Oh dear. That is a very unwell looking chicken. You say she is eating and drinking ok but what is her poop like? Does her crop feel normal? Have you checked her over for wounds or any signs of parasites?
Keep her warm and isolated and monitor her food and water intake and poop output for the time being. Was she standing like this since you got her or does it seem to be getting worse?
Her poop has been runny, and when we got home this evening, she was on her side and cannot stand on her own. A sad day. What causes this?

Possibly a vitamin deficiency? The symptoms of paralysis sound like Mareks, but isn't she a little young? I'm really not too sure. I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom