Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
https://www.backyardchickens.com/

New to Guineas Need Advice​

•••
[IMG alt="Liz Birdlover"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/500/500450.jpg?1629214145[/IMG]

Liz Birdlover

Free Ranging​

• Friend
Today at 2:19 PM
Hi Guinea Lovers!

I need your expertise & advice.
I've had birds in my life a long time, Parrots, Homing Pigeons for decades, Chickens & Roosters I've come to adore since 2015 & now I've got Guineas...sort of began when a friend got some, 1 seemed injured & asked me to help. I saw them in a slippery bottom cage, so I thought it was just splay leg, which I've had good results with my "sling" & or tape methods, many times over the years, with Cockatiels & Pigeons.

This poor Guinea seemed to improve slightly, but then went right back to not having a functional leg. After scouring this site & internet in general, reading everything I can about it, I've come to the conclusion, she may have either broken her leg & it unfortunately mended in a bad position, or this poor bird has tendon issues (which probably is the case & 1st time I have ever seen it, let alone dealt with it). Her growth also seems stunted.

She is currently set up in a large tub in my bathroom, lined with towels for traction, she eats & drinks, but she isn't walking, its more like scurrying, crawling, wing flapping with a bum leg. She gets where she's goin, but that's no quality life for any bird. I am searching for a decent avian vet, may need a road trip to visit one.
I find it difficult giving up on a creature that is eating & drinking. I know she may need to be humanely put down, just want to see if there is hope she could possibly walk & live as she should. It's the 1 leg that sticks out & basically the foot even faces the wrong way. This was noticed when she was maybe One & a 1/2 to 2 weeks old, July 4th, she was very little then. My friend told me she seemed to be getting progressively worse, it wasn't sudden. I got her end of July. After 4 weeks doing well, taped legs with cushion between knees, in a sling, she walked around pretty good, about a week! Only her toes looked odd, but I hoped they'd straighten out.

An injured pigeon in a sling, that was a compound fracture broken leg (hawk attack) had curled toes, but after a week out of the sling his toes straightened back out & he walked perfectly, so I thought her toes would, too. She was in the tub with a young pigeon also in recovery (temporary, they snuggled together & got along very well). But instead of toes improving, that leg started facing outwards & she began dragging it again. Her pigeon buddy recovered & went back out to the pigeon loft, but I learned Guineas need more of their own kind. So, I got 4 younger Guineas, to grow up with her. I had all 5 of them in the tub & heated bathroom, then when they didn't need heat I moved them outside in a large pen for a few weeks, this was temporary as I worked on their new coop. As they were still little, they used a modified rabbit hutch, they roosted in. Even Lee would scramble all around the pen after crickets & then up the ramp into the hutch, where they all snuggled at night.

When we had hurricane Ian, I had to move them, set them up indoors, in a room about the size of a barn stall. EVERYONE here was indoors, high winds blowing heavy rain sideways for a week! Then puddles & mud for 2 weeks. Entire flock hunkered down & stayed dry inside. That's when the other Guineas started picking on her, though, not causing injury, but I could tell this was going to escalate over time. They are able to fly & jump up high to roost, poor little Lee can't, she stays on the floor, drags her leg to get around. When I saw little peck marks, I had to move her back inside to my bathroom.

Well, shes got the whole big tub to herself, She's doing OK, eats & drinks, but it's obviously not a good quality of life for her. It is now October. The 4 younger Guineas are much larger than her! I think they're 2 males & 2 females. We've had more rain but the temperatures are starting to change & I need to get them back outside & I'm working to finish up inside of their new coop.

So, I've learned Guineas prefer to free range, but we have constant predators, so I do have predator proof pens & coops here...my question is, can I set those 4 up that way? They'll have their own coop & pen, (not sharing with Pigeons or Chickens nearby, as they have their own, too.) I figure they can get used to that being their "home base" where food & water is set up & safe roosting...but how long should I wait before opening the door & letting them free range? When we resettle Homing Pigeons from a different loft, we wait 2 months before letting them fly free, otherwise they fly back to their previous owner's loft. I figure the 4 Guineas will most likely immediately go for trees & I have a few, but next door is a vacant lot, all trees, often filled with hawks...what happens when hawks zoom in? Would Guineas come back to their coop to roost? If I leave that coop door open for them, I will get every other critter around invading...mice, raccoon, fox, neighbor's cats, etc., eating their food. So how do you deal with that? Just open & close door certian times & they'll figure it out? Or once I open their door, are they gone...preferring free life in trees on neighbor's wooded lot? Will they ever come back to their coop if I call them? Sorry for all the silly questions but I'm learning that they're very different from chickens & pigeons...I can call those birds in & they come running or flying to me, even land on me. The Guineas don't seem to reciprocate my affection for them Lol, yes, I know they'll never be friendly, that's OK, I just want them safe & alive.
As for Lee, I know there are times we must cull, but I can't personally do it & I will only have someone else do it, IF there is No hope for her. I need a vet, to find out if this is permanent tendon issue without possibility of repair, or was it a break that could possibly be rebroken & reset. The 1st challenge is finding a vet...Most only see parrots & are far.

As there is a wealth of experience here, can y'all give me some advice?
Is there any helping this poor bird?
Advice about the other 4 & how to keep them safe?
They won't like being confined to the coop & pen all of the time, right?
How can they free range safely? Am I nuts for thinking I might be able to call them in? Well, they gotta eat, I'll keep the feed inside the coop...will they come in for that & come in at dusk so I can shut the fox, raccoons & owls out to keep them alive?

Sorry I wrote a book of a post here. I really want to learn what's best for them! ❤️

Little Lee, when I 1st got her, up til now.
20220818_151527.jpg 20220713_175638.jpg 20220713_181816.jpg 20220711_175655.jpg 20220818_151516.jpg
20220711_180342.jpg
20220803_195554.jpg 20220802_105044.jpg 20220802_092859.jpg 20220802_091117.jpg 20220802_104340.jpg
20220811_084246.jpg
20220812_194542.jpg 20220825_065714.jpg 20220823_155110.jpg 20220825_065724.jpg 20220822_204607.jpg 20220822_211520.jpg 20220915_104722.jpg 20220915_104659.jpg 20220902_111056.jpg
20220921_182904.jpg
Lee is back in my bathroom tub now, sorry sweetie. Her leg is just not right.
20221025_121834.jpg
20220818_142416.jpg 20221018_193116.jpg 20221018_193005.jpg

Last edited:
Aww, you're a wonderful soul! I love guineas 💗.

I kept my guineas in their run for a month and a half. I greeted them with the same high pitched greeting every morning, then let them out. I didn't feed them in the morning. Once it was getting dark they made their way back to the run, I fed them and locked them up.

When I used that high pitched greeting when they were free ranging, the lead male would respond so I knew where they were, and if they were close enough to the house they would all come running to me.

Guineas free range all over the place including neighbors, the road, deep into the woods. I had to play chicken many a times when they were trying to cross into the state park across the street.

I lost most of them to a fox, the last two I rehomed to a friend that had guineas.

Aww, you're a wonderful soul! I love guineas 💗.

I kept my guineas in their run for a month and a half. I greeted them with the same high pitched greeting every morning, then let them out. I didn't feed them in the morning. Once it was getting dark they made their way back to the run, I fed them and locked them up.

When I used that high pitched greeting when they were free ranging, the lead male would respond so I knew where they were, and if they were close enough to the house they would all come running to me.

Guineas free range all over the place including neighbors, the road, deep into the woods. I had to play chicken many a times when they were trying to cross into the state park across the street.

I lost most of them to a fox, the last two I rehomed to a friend that had guineas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/

New to Guineas Need Advice​

•••
[IMG alt="Liz Birdlover"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/500/500450.jpg?1629214145[/IMG]

Liz Birdlover

Free Ranging​

• Friend
Today at 2:19 PM
Hi Guinea Lovers!

I need your expertise & advice.
I've had birds in my life a long time, Parrots, Homing Pigeons for decades, Chickens & Roosters I've come to adore since 2015 & now I've got Guineas...sort of began when a friend got some, 1 seemed injured & asked me to help. I saw them in a slippery bottom cage, so I thought it was just splay leg, which I've had good results with my "sling" & or tape methods, many times over the years, with Cockatiels & Pigeons.

This poor Guinea seemed to improve slightly, but then went right back to not having a functional leg. After scouring this site & internet in general, reading everything I can about it, I've come to the conclusion, she may have either broken her leg & it unfortunately mended in a bad position, or this poor bird has tendon issues (which probably is the case & 1st time I have ever seen it, let alone dealt with it). Her growth also seems stunted.

She is currently set up in a large tub in my bathroom, lined with towels for traction, she eats & drinks, but she isn't walking, its more like scurrying, crawling, wing flapping with a bum leg. She gets where she's goin, but that's no quality life for any bird. I am searching for a decent avian vet, may need a road trip to visit one.
I find it difficult giving up on a creature that is eating & drinking. I know she may need to be humanely put down, just want to see if there is hope she could possibly walk & live as she should. It's the 1 leg that sticks out & basically the foot even faces the wrong way. This was noticed when she was maybe One & a 1/2 to 2 weeks old, July 4th, she was very little then. My friend told me she seemed to be getting progressively worse, it wasn't sudden. I got her end of July. After 4 weeks doing well, taped legs with cushion between knees, in a sling, she walked around pretty good, about a week! Only her toes looked odd, but I hoped they'd straighten out.

An injured pigeon in a sling, that was a compound fracture broken leg (hawk attack) had curled toes, but after a week out of the sling his toes straightened back out & he walked perfectly, so I thought her toes would, too. She was in the tub with a young pigeon also in recovery (temporary, they snuggled together & got along very well). But instead of toes improving, that leg started facing outwards & she began dragging it again. Her pigeon buddy recovered & went back out to the pigeon loft, but I learned Guineas need more of their own kind. So, I got 4 younger Guineas, to grow up with her. I had all 5 of them in the tub & heated bathroom, then when they didn't need heat I moved them outside in a large pen for a few weeks, this was temporary as I worked on their new coop. As they were still little, they used a modified rabbit hutch, they roosted in. Even Lee would scramble all around the pen after crickets & then up the ramp into the hutch, where they all snuggled at night.

When we had hurricane Ian, I had to move them, set them up indoors, in a room about the size of a barn stall. EVERYONE here was indoors, high winds blowing heavy rain sideways for a week! Then puddles & mud for 2 weeks. Entire flock hunkered down & stayed dry inside. That's when the other Guineas started picking on her, though, not causing injury, but I could tell this was going to escalate over time. They are able to fly & jump up high to roost, poor little Lee can't, she stays on the floor, drags her leg to get around. When I saw little peck marks, I had to move her back inside to my bathroom.

Well, shes got the whole big tub to herself, She's doing OK, eats & drinks, but it's obviously not a good quality of life for her. It is now October. The 4 younger Guineas are much larger than her! I think they're 2 males & 2 females. We've had more rain but the temperatures are starting to change & I need to get them back outside & I'm working to finish up inside of their new coop.

So, I've learned Guineas prefer to free range, but we have constant predators, so I do have predator proof pens & coops here...my question is, can I set those 4 up that way? They'll have their own coop & pen, (not sharing with Pigeons or Chickens nearby, as they have their own, too.) I figure they can get used to that being their "home base" where food & water is set up & safe roosting...but how long should I wait before opening the door & letting them free range? When we resettle Homing Pigeons from a different loft, we wait 2 months before letting them fly free, otherwise they fly back to their previous owner's loft. I figure the 4 Guineas will most likely immediately go for trees & I have a few, but next door is a vacant lot, all trees, often filled with hawks...what happens when hawks zoom in? Would Guineas come back to their coop to roost? If I leave that coop door open for them, I will get every other critter around invading...mice, raccoon, fox, neighbor's cats, etc., eating their food. So how do you deal with that? Just open & close door certian times & they'll figure it out? Or once I open their door, are they gone...preferring free life in trees on neighbor's wooded lot? Will they ever come back to their coop if I call them? Sorry for all the silly questions but I'm learning that they're very different from chickens & pigeons...I can call those birds in & they come running or flying to me, even land on me. The Guineas don't seem to reciprocate my affection for them Lol, yes, I know they'll never be friendly, that's OK, I just want them safe & alive.
As for Lee, I know there are times we must cull, but I can't personally do it & I will only have someone else do it, IF there is No hope for her. I need a vet, to find out if this is permanent tendon issue without possibility of repair, or was it a break that could possibly be rebroken & reset. The 1st challenge is finding a vet...Most only see parrots & are far.

As there is a wealth of experience here, can y'all give me some advice?
Is there any helping this poor bird?
Advice about the other 4 & how to keep them safe?
They won't like being confined to the coop & pen all of the time, right?
How can they free range safely? Am I nuts for thinking I might be able to call them in? Well, they gotta eat, I'll keep the feed inside the coop...will they come in for that & come in at dusk so I can shut the fox, raccoons & owls out to keep them alive?

Sorry I wrote a book of a post here. I really want to learn what's best for them! ❤️

Little Lee, when I 1st got her, up til now.
View attachment 3302503View attachment 3302504View attachment 3302505View attachment 3302506View attachment 3302502
View attachment 3302507
View attachment 3302512View attachment 3302513View attachment 3302515View attachment 3302516View attachment 3302514
View attachment 3302521
View attachment 3302536View attachment 3302537View attachment 3302542View attachment 3302543View attachment 3302546View attachment 3302544View attachment 3302559View attachment 3302560View attachment 3302561
View attachment 3302562
Lee is back in my bathroom tub now, sorry sweetie. Her leg is just not right.
View attachment 3302569
View attachment 3302571View attachment 3302573View attachment 3302572
So, she's going on 4 months old? There are threads on fixing slipped tendons, but I'm not going to lie to you, the success rate is dismal. What you're doing is tx for splayed leg, won't work. As for toes, securing to a cardboard "shoe" often works for keets.
If you're all in for a life-long house guinea, she could live as an amputee- but never as part of a flock. Not sure where you are, aviary vets are hard to locate w/o heading for big cities/state capitals. And the worst part is that this far in, admitting defeat is going to be hard. So you havesomesoul and vet searching to do.
You are correct, the outdoor flock will need to be confined until they recognize that as home.if you have room, life will be much easier for you if you increase their number now, as they are flock oriented.
Most of us have enclosures/runs w/ coops and let them free range during the day, locking them up before sunset.

So, she's going on 4 months old? There are threads on fixing slipped tendons, but I'm not going to lie to you, the success rate is dismal. What you're doing is tx for splayed leg, won't work. As for toes, securing to a cardboard "shoe" often works for keets.
If you're all in for a life-long house guinea, she could live as an amputee- but never as part of a flock. Not sure where you are, aviary vets are hard to locate w/o heading for big cities/state capitals. And the worst part is that this far in, admitting defeat is going to be hard. So you havesomesoul and vet searching to do.
You are correct, the outdoor flock will need to be confined until they recognize that as home.if you have room, life will be much easier for you if you increase their number now, as they are flock oriented.
Most of us have enclosures/runs w/ coops and let them free range during the day, locking them up before sunset.
Thank you for your advice. I know little Lee may become a house bird. It'll be a true test of my sweetheart's love, & tolerance of stinky butts of what I love. 🤣 They seem to be much more stinky than chickens...almost like constant cecal.

For the Guineas out in their coop, it has a wood floor painted with tough floor paint & eurethane, was going to use wood chips like the chickens...is that good?

How many do you recommend for a flock? I've got the 4 now, I think 2 couples, if the larger wattles indicate male. I've got determining gender downpat with Cockatiels, Pigeons, & Chickens, but I have a lot to learn with Guineas! They are so unique. I almost jumped out on my skin the other day, 1 or 2 made startling loud noises I never heard before. 😆

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice. I know little Lee may become a house bird. It'll be a true test of my sweetheart's love, & tolerance of stinky butts of what I love. 🤣 They seem to be much more stinky than chickens...almost like constant cecal.

For the Guineas out in their coop, it has a wood floor painted with tough floor paint & eurethane, was going to use wood chips like the chickens...is that good?

How many do you recommend for a flock? I've got the 4 now, I think 2 couples, if the larger wattles indicate male. I've got determining gender downpat with Cockatiels, Pigeons, & Chickens, but I have a lot to learn with Guineas! They are so unique. I almost jumped out on my skin the other day, 1 or 2 made startling loud noises I never heard before. 😆
4 months....yeah, you should be able to tellby their calls now. Lot's of recordings on the web- female is 2 syllable. Some hear "buck-wheat". I usually hear "come back!". But one sounds like "ka-plack" and another sounds like "Bobo-fat" and my bashful one is just a very quiet "co co".
As for how many- consensus seems to be at the very least, 10. Personally, I can say 3 or 4 birds won't die in the winter, but they won't make enough body heat to be happy, either.
I love my goons and the time I spend with them. As for Little Miss, head over to Etsy and look up chicken diapers. I had a hard time deciding what size would work for a guinea, but one seller helped me decide and even offered to make alterations if needed.

Sadly, I weighed the options of life & how happy (not much), how lonely (alot), or how miserable (probably safe to say, overall), this poor bird's future seemed. It's a very bleak existence when a bird has to drag itself to eat & drink, plus knowing it's vulnerable, always doing so fearfully, flapping, scared, dragging back into a box (shelter to hide) on it's side lined with towels. What kind of life is that? Not a good one. Little Lee is now over the Rainbow Bridge. I held her on my lap & pet her the 45 min drive there. I hope her sweet soul knows how I cared & tried. Darn, this is the hardest part of life, whether it's human or pets, seeing suffering & not being able to fix or heal...very sad.

Well, I have a wonderful flock, I will be hugging some chickens after work today, my "therapy" & I've got 4 energetic Guineas still. All advice for them is still very welcome. ❤️

(Thanks for listening y'all, appreciate it. ❤️)

Sadly, I weighed the options of life & how happy (not much), how lonely (alot), or how miserable (probably safe to say, overall), this poor bird's future seemed. It's a very bleak existence when a bird has to drag itself to eat & drink, plus knowing it's vulnerable, always doing so fearfully, flapping, scared, dragging back into a box (shelter to hide) on it's side lined with towels. What kind of life is that? Not a good one. Little Lee is now over the Rainbow Bridge. I held her on my lap & pet her the 45 min drive there. I hope her sweet soul knows how I cared & tried. Darn, this is the hardest part of life, whether it's human or pets, seeing suffering & not being able to fix or heal...very sad.

Well, I have a wonderful flock, I will be hugging some chickens after work today, my "therapy" & I've got 4 energetic Guineas still. All advice for them is still very welcome. ❤️

:hugs doing the "right thing" often means doing the hardest thing.you'll remember her, but the 4 you have will make you so 🦇💩🌰-y, - it'll get easier. :gig:gig

Aw Liz, I’m so sorry that you had to make that heartbreaking decision. :hitSometimes there is just no way to fix what is broken. After spending so much time nursing and taking care of Lee, of course you’re going to feel just awful that there wasn’t more you could do. What an agonizing decision to have to make about an animal that you care so much about! You’re amazing though to have maintained this bird for so long, you gave Lee friends and human companionship, to have provided so much more care and comfort than Lee would have otherwise experienced. It wasn’t a long life, but Lee felt amazingly well for a long time, considering what a painful condition this was. I hope you know that you provided well for Lee and did your very best to give your bird the best life possible. I also hope you’re able to focus on all the good times and cute ways of your bird in time. :hugs

Update on my 4...They're doing well, 2 boys, 2 girls. Since my yard also has a neighboring fox den, with two mama foxes raising their kits, Chickens & Guineas & Pigeons only free range when I am there...which is daily at some point. The Guineas have surprised me by sticking close to home and often following me around, And if I happen to have a meal worm or any bug treat in my hand, and call to the Guineas, they get those little legs going and run to me, 1 male often takes the worm right out of my hand.
Calling them in has been easy! If I do want to actually handle them, however, I have to wait until dark, And they are roosted for the night, when I can gently scoop them close to me and then look them over by flashlight. I just want to check them over occasionally for any kind of mites, etc. They don't like it but they don't hate it either, I guess they have come to trust me and the sound of my voice is always a soothing tone. They make the cutest, faint, little whistle sounds when I talk soothingly to them, It's adorable. When they get squawking loud I know it is for a reason, either a truck drove by on the gravel road or there is a hawk, or something is out of place. They really don't raise a ruckus when the foxes are trotting by. The foxes trot up to me often & check out what I'm digging up or planting, & also lay down by the fire at the firepit. Well, the fox didn't know I had Guineas out, & was trotting by her usual path, when one male Guinea ran right up to the fox...Foxy stopped in her tracks, startled. They were practically nose to nose...which almost gave me a heart attack, but as I said NO, the fox backed up, then looked at me wide eyed with a quizzical expression, then ran away, looking back at puffed up male Guinea, with a scared expression. The whole thing lasted two seconds. I'm just glad Foxy has decided that Guineas are scary, loud creatures to be avoided. The other three Guineas jumped up eight feet on top of the pens, & hung out with my Homing Pigeons, then paced, puffed up, raising a ruckus about the Fox encounter. That was months ago. Now the fox has altered her path, she sticks by the tree line, far from the Guineas & Pigeons.

Anyway, I love my Guineas! They always make me smile. ❤️

20230519_085055.jpg

Here is Foxy, she sits at a distance when I've got the flock out & Guineas run around. She avoids their loft...so that's good.
20230504_185114.jpg

Last edited:
Update on my 4...They're doing well, 2 boys, 2 girls. Since my yard also has a neighboring fox den, with two mama foxes raising their kits, Chickens & Guineas & Pigeons only free range when I am there...which is daily at some point. The Guineas have surprised me by sticking close to home and often following me around, And if I happen to have a meal worm or any bug treat in my hand, and call to the Guineas, they get those little legs going and run to me, 1 male often takes the worm right out of my hand.
Calling them in has been easy! If I do want to actually handle them, however, I have to wait until dark, And they are roosted for the night, when I can gently scoop them close to me and then look them over by flashlight. I just want to check them over occasionally for any kind of mites, etc. They don't like it but they don't hate it either, I guess they have come to trust me and the sound of my voice is always a soothing tone. They make the cutest, faint, little whistle sounds when I talk soothingly to them, It's adorable. When they get squawking loud I know it is for a reason, either a truck drove by on the gravel road or there is a hawk, or something is out of place. They really don't raise a ruckus when the foxes are trotting by. The foxes trot up to me often & check out what I'm digging up or planting, & also lay down by the fire at the firepit. Well, the fox didn't know I had Guineas out, & was trotting by her usual path, when one male Guinea ran right up to the fox...Foxy stopped in her tracks, startled. They were practically nose to nose...which almost gave me a heart attack, but as I said NO, the fox backed up, then looked at me wide eyed with a quizzical expression, then ran away, looking back at puffed up male Guinea, with a scared expression. The whole thing lasted two seconds. I'm just glad Foxy has decided that Guineas are scary, loud creatures to be avoided. The other three Guineas jumped up eight feet on top of the pens, & hung out with my Homing Pigeons, then paced, puffed up, raising a ruckus about the Fox encounter. That was months ago. Now the fox has altered her path, she sticks by the tree line, far from the Guineas & Pigeons.

Anyway, I love my Guineas! They always make me smile. ❤️

View attachment 3513382

Here is Foxy, she sits at a distance when I've got the flock out & Guineas run around. She avoids their loft...so that's good.
View attachment 3513386
You're very lucky, the foxes in our woods killed my whole flock of guineas. I love those crazy birds.❤️

Back
Top Bottom