New guy here!

Owingsia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Saluda VA
Hi all,

My wife and I just got married and found a home on 5 acres in the country (I get to commute to work) Its been out dream. We plan to start a small pick your own apple orchard as well as a small farm. We also have plans to buy an additional 5 acres in the future to expand said orchard and farm.

We currently started chickens this year and it has been an adventure. We have 20 total however 10 are still chicks and in the brooder.

We have several different types of chickens and plan to get more this coming spring. My favorite is our buff cochin. We had a blue cochin however a dog got to her wile we were not home.

we also have guine fowl (6) that are fun but a lot of trouble. They are also loud and obnoxious.

We have two Japanese bantam roosters that are a bunch of fun. We had gotten 3 Japanese Bantams and two turned out to be boys. We have a buff and a black rooster and the hen is a black tail white. Kai is the black rooster and he is a hoot. He is probably the most vocal of all our chickens. Constantly babbling on about something. He is good at waking everyone up in the am but Kimchee out does him in the crowing. Actually they are both very vocal during the day with the chatter. I never know what they are getting on about but they constantly talk to me when im doing work. They are not loud just constant like I said.

Our hens are fun as well as they love to get out and explore. We only free range when we are home. They have a large hen house and run however, once we get home in the evenings they come out and on the weekends they spend all their time during day light hours out having fun.

This coming spring we plan on getting rohd island reds (my wife's favorite) and I want more cochins. I would like to get a silver lace wing polish crested because I think they look so good.

I am also debating on getting more Japanese bantams. They are a lot of fun but I dont think we need more roosters and the place we get our chickens from can not promise Hens only with Japanese bantams.

Well anyway,

hello all.

Greetings from Kansas, Owingsia, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Sounds like an idyllic situation you have planned. Love the orchard idea! Best of luck with your future poultry plans!!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom