New hatchling...HELP!!!

Leeloo11400

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Happy C's Farm, Texas
Wednesday I woke up to a new baby hatching from her egg. She had started a zipper, but didn't get very far. I left her alone for a while and when I returned she had made no progress. I left her alone through the night and by morning there was still no progress. At this point I thought she had passed on. When I went to take care of it later, she was peeping and moving, but still no progress. At this point my daughter and I helped her along. Since then she has been alive, peeping, and moving, but cannot walk (her legs seemed drawn up) and now she has what looks like sores on her body. Her foot/leg, wing, neck, and even a little one on her beak. What could this be and what should I do? She doesn't seem like she's going to make it, but I've thought that for days.

BTW, I set 31 eggs and this is only the third to hatch. Two hatched at day 23/24 and this one started on day 25. When we did the water test at day 24, 8 eggs were moving, but at this point I believe all are lost.

Thank you all,

Leah

How is the new chick now? I have a similar situation also. This is my first time having chickens and also hatching eggs with incubator. I so far have four new chicks. The other night I had two that pipped through ( hope that's how it's meant to be said) the egg and. Chirping I also let them alone and checked on them often. I noticed they made no progress for over 24 hours I
Tried to help them by slowly rehydrating the membrane around them. (I looked up on what to do to help them in this situation). One ended up dying from still being stuck in egg I and my dh were able to slowly carefully get the second one out. It just laid lifeless in the incubator. Breathing. That one ended up dying over night. Was yours also stuck inside egg ? Did you assist it hatching also?

Yes, she was stuck in the egg and we helped her out. I'm not sure if help is a good way to put it though because she is so weak. The only thing she is doing is breathing. She doesn't move or peep and I hate to see her suffer. :(

Has chick improved any? I fully understand is helping them out helping. I told myself if I see anymore chicks in the same situation I'm not going to help. How hard it's going to be
1f625.png
. The only way I will help anymore is if not as severe as my two were. Maybe those sores are from where the chick was very stuck. I've read the best thing to do is leave them in incubator and let them be. Make sure all the sticky goo is off of them also i don't know why tho not to put them in a brooder but in the incubator. Please keep me up to date

She passed last night. Very sad!

As far as the incubator, this was my very first hatch. The temp always read between 98.9 and 100.1 and the humidity was usually around 44% until I put two wet rags in at lockdown (someone suggested). I believe I had the incubator in the wrong location in the house and it was just too drafty. I started a second hatch and have moved locations, put a blanket over it, and have tried to forget it. The first hatch I opened quite a few times because I was so stinking excited. I do believe this is what ultimately did my little babes in. I have learned my lesson. Thanks so much for posting your encouragements.

Leah

So sorry to hear that Leah. I know it was sad for me also. I think temp was good I had my humidity at 69-65. I have four that made it n the two that died I think also because of me opening it. Hope next batch goes well for you

She passed last night.  Very sad! 

As far as the incubator, this was my very first hatch.  The temp always read between 98.9 and 100.1 and the humidity was usually around 44% until I put two wet rags in at lockdown (someone suggested).  I believe I had the incubator in the wrong location in the house and it was just too drafty.  I started a second hatch and have moved locations, put a blanket over it, and have tried to forget it.  The first hatch I opened quite a few times because I was so stinking excited.  I do believe this is what ultimately did my little babes in.  I have learned my lesson.  Thanks so much for posting your encouragements. 

Leah

If you put a blanket over your incubator, how is fresh air going to get in it? Air is also important to developing embyros, so I wouldn't restrict or cover up all the air holes on the incubator.

I've had excellent hatches by snuggling my incubator in a blanket to help regulate temps when house temp drops at night. Of course, you need to be sure the vent holes are not blocked, but that blanket will make a world of difference in helping an incubator hold a good temp in a cold room.

Back
Top Bottom