New hatchling leg deformed- 1st HATCH!!

ChickyHawk

Songster
Dec 23, 2018
This is our families first time hatching chickens out of 11 fertile eggs six hatched on day 20 and three today date 21. Still waiting on two. One hatched about an hour ago and its legs look different than the others. It’s right leg is bent up tight close to its body. Almost as if it can’t straighten it. The left leg is straight back. Almost like it won’t bend. The toes on the straight leg seem a little flexed upward also the check is still a little damp so I can’t remove to fully inspect. Also the head/neck seem to be curling and the body is twisting towards the curled leg. This is our first hatch so I’m not really sure I know what I find anyhow. Anyone seen something similar, or know what to do.
If there is a way I can act quickly to fix it I would like to do it, or it it will likely die I don’t want to see it suffer long. We have young kids and are hatching I’d a family.
What’s the way folks go about culling chicks if necessary?

Attachments

• BE96B57A-DDBC-4066-8AB7-0A5B516165AC.jpeg
    BE96B57A-DDBC-4066-8AB7-0A5B516165AC.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 238
How is your chick doing?
Have you been able to take her out of the bator to better access the situation?

Can't say whether culling is needed at this point, but if you determine it is, then for tiny chicks like this the quickest way is to use a sharp pair of scissors. The article below is a good one. If it comes to it, get it done, then go have yourself a good cry:hugs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

We took the chick out of the brooder last night and attempted to wrap the legs into a more normal position. We woke up all night to chirps and found it out from the heat plate away from the others. I undid the wraps this morning because I think it was a good attempt but don’t think it will help. Possibly hinder if anything. My kids don’t like the idea of calling it but I told them there is a great possibility and they understand that. Maybe if we continue to nurture it for awhile until it can get stronger and figure out how to remain upright and support itself?

Do you have photos of her, especially how the legs are positioned?

Can she eat/drink on her own?

I'd work on getting 1/4 tablet B-Complex into her daily. This can be dissolved in a tiny amount of water and give a few drops throughout the day to get it all into her.

Do you have photos of her, especially how the legs are positioned?

Can she eat/drink on her own?

I'd work on getting 1/4 tablet B-Complex into her daily. This can be dissolved in a tiny amount of water and give a few drops throughout the day to get it all into her.
That left leg twists inward and back

Attachments

• 0A9710E6-B06E-49D1-A114-38086DEB0D6B.jpeg
    0A9710E6-B06E-49D1-A114-38086DEB0D6B.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8A0A9E2A-FC50-4CA2-A984-A493105F8281.jpeg
    8A0A9E2A-FC50-4CA2-A984-A493105F8281.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 18
That left leg twists inward and back
Also not very eager to eat or drink at all.
Can’t really peck at food on the ground because it will cause it to fall over then has am impossible time to return standing. Really exhausting it seems.
That left leg will not bend probably at the “knee” joint.

We ended up culling it today. It was only able to stand briefly then would fall over and really exert itself flipping around the brooder. It could not take a single step! We took turns as a family carrying it our shirt pocket throughout the days, trying to feed it and give it water. But was really disinterested in those thinks and just peeped loudly and continuously. When we put it in with the others, they noticed the leg and pecked at it terrible, causing distress. It was really sad and but we came to a decision as a family that it was best for the chick, and for us - which is important. Because it was hard to fill it but even harder to watch it suffer especially since we knew that it would probably get dehydrated and weak and die anyway.
Now we are a bit relieved and care able to pay attention and enjoy the rest of our first newly hatched flock.

Thank you for your advice! :)

I'm very sorry about the chick:hugs

It's good that you all were able to be involved in this tough decision. It's never easy even when you know it's the right thing to do.

I do hope that you enjoy the others, and all are happy and healthy for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom