New hen identification

cjotjr25

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Slippery rock, pa
Hello. I was given these three hens because a man needed to downsize. Unfortunately he didn’t know what breeds. The white one in the background is my old, I know what she is. I’m thinking maybe the brown one with the puffy “cheeks” is an Easter Eggers. Also the black and white one a Wyandotte.They haven’t laid any eggs yet so not sure how often and the color of their eggs. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• C7BF2D89-C63C-4D2F-977C-989521F936CD.jpeg
    C7BF2D89-C63C-4D2F-977C-989521F936CD.jpeg
    956.6 KB · Views: 31
Hello. I was given these three hens because a man needed to downsize. Unfortunately he didn’t know what breeds. The white one in the background is my old, I know what she is. I’m thinking maybe the brown one with the puffy “cheeks” is an Easter Eggers. Also the black and white one a Wyandotte.They haven’t laid any eggs yet so not sure how often and the color of their eggs. Any help would be appreciated
You have a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Saphire Gem and an Easter Egger. You'll get a brown egg from the SLW and either blue, green or brown from the two hybrids.

That one looks exactly like my Sapphire Blue Plymouth Rocks that I bought from the hatchery.

Looks like a White Leghorn, 1 EE, an Andalusian, & a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Wyandotte lays brown eggs.

Leghorn lays white eggs

EE, any color per bird.

Andalusian lays white eggs.

(Or is the white one yours originally?)
Andalusians have white ears. I believe the OP has a Saphire Gem there as the bird does not have white ears.

Just call it a mix or come up with your own name, back then chicken breed wasnt as many as nowadays. I have a big book about a chicken breed it was a bit old, some of the breed mentioned in this web wasn't there, not to mention the unrecognized breed on the rural or secluded place, so the newest book probably even bigger.
I want to pet chicken for fun not to become a chicken taxonomist, but well, if you are a fellow pure breed fan.
Well, it looks like you can come up with your own breed if your chicken have a distict characteristic, popular among people and gain a recognition, but it need some fortune and a bit, i mean lot of time. So i wont try or mind it that much.
Or you can upgrade your tools, become a genetict scientis and make a hybrid, then you need to wait, the next day people will group up and bring no GMO sign all over your place.
Ehm..,sorry i got carried away.

Back
Top Bottom