New hens not laying

Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If you have a flock with birds that aren't laying, for whatever reason, then you should not offer layer feed.
The extra calcium in the layer feed will build up in the kidneys and eventually cause them to fail, killing the bird. They will not show any signs of illness until it is far too late.
A grower, all flock, or flock raiser type feed would be a better choice for your flock, with crushed oyster shell offered separately. The higher protein content may help your girls to finally start laying.

I would give them a mix of corn, laying pellets and grit
or a mix of corn, laying pellets, chick crumbs
or a mix of corn, laying pellets, chick crumbs and grit
or a mix of wild bird seed, laying pellets and grit
or a mix of wild bird seed, laying pellets, chick crumbs
or a mix of wild bird seed, laying pellets, chick crumbs and grit
give them some greens as well
and put apple cider vinger in there water
also they will not lay in winter so if you want them to lay put a lamp inside the hutch

Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If you have a flock with birds that aren't laying, for whatever reason, then you should not offer layer feed.
The extra calcium in the layer feed will build up in the kidneys and eventually cause them to fail, killing the bird. They will not show any signs of illness until it is far too late.
A grower, all flock, or flock raiser type feed would be a better choice for your flock, with crushed oyster shell offered separately. The higher protein content may help your girls to finally start laying.
Good Advice^^^^^

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom