New hens with rooster

monamomma

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Delta, PA
I am a beginner with raising chickens. We had a Rhode Island Red rooster and hen. Our hen was murdered last week because our neighbor doesn't keep her dogs from coming into our yard. I was heartbroken. A friend of ours couldn't stand me upset over this any longer and gave us two RIR hens. We put them in the coop but "Ed Earl" won't let them come out. When will they start getting along? Did we do the introduction incorrectly?

As long as he isn't hurting them, you should be fine. It sounds like he is trying to protect them by keeping them in the coop. Also, his job is to teach the hens/pullets to listen to him, as he is their protector, their food finder, ect ect...

In the future, if you get new chickens, you really should isolate them for a while, atleast a few weeks, longer is better ( most recommend 2 months )...to make sure they are healthy, but since you got them from a friend, I assume you know they are healthy?!

So sorry for your loss!!!! Glad you could get your Roo some more ladies!!! Just keep an eye on them and make sure he isn't doing them any harm and congrats on the friend helping and the new additions to your flock!

Welcome to BYC also! Great place for tons of info on everything!!!

Glad you are rebuilding your flock. Did you have a talk with your neighbor about their dogs? If not, then it will happen again I'm sad to say. Not trying to be negative but those dogs now know where to go for chickens. Call animal control the next time and prosecute the case or it will never stop. Good Luck.

Oh yeah, we had quite the talk. While our neighbor felt extremely bad about what happened, she failed to contain the dog and two days later the dog was back in our yard. Thank goodness I had just walked out the door and was able to chase the dog away. She now knows that if the dog comes back, we WILL take some form of action! After sending my thread, I went out to check on Ed Earl and his new girlfriends and they seem to be getting along. Thank you so much for your quick answer. I love this site and the forums! I have learned so much already and am looking forward to adding on to the flock!!

welcome-byc.gif

I think you just need to give your new flock some time, it can take up to a few weeks for new birds to sort themselves out.

Paintball that dog next time it comes on your yard. If it comes back, SSS.

Did your neighbor compensate you for the hen?

I JUST GOT 1 BUFF COCHIN BANTOM ROOSTER AND 1 BANTOM COCHIN HEN, BUT THEY JUST SIT AROUND AND DO NOTHING I WANT THEM FOR BREEDING PURPOSES BUT THEY DON'T SEEM INTERESTED IN EACH OTHER PLEASE HELP.
idunno.gif

I JUST GOT 1 BUFF COCHIN BANTOM ROOSTER AND 1 BANTOM COCHIN HEN, BUT THEY JUST SIT AROUND AND DO NOTHING I WANT THEM FOR BREEDING PURPOSES BUT THEY DON'T SEEM INTERESTED IN EACH OTHER PLEASE HELP.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
and how old are they.....are they young or if the hen is older is she in a molt....there can be many reasons why they are just sitting around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom