New hens won't come out of coop

cwilly

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
I just picked up my first hens yesterday (5 ISA Browns-16 weeks old), and they won't go out of the coop into the run. They are healthy and seem happy, but they just wander around the coop checking things out. I left the door to the run open yesterday, but closed them in last night. I opened it again early this morning, and still nothing. One of them poked her head out and looked around, but went back in. Will they just go out when they are ready? Thanks

Most likely they will venture out when they are ready. However, you may have to put them out. I know when I moved my chicks they had no trouble leaving the coop but for about a week I had to chase them down and catch them to put them back up. They all wanted to go back to their old house.
I just transfered three EE hens to the new house and they are constantly trying to get back to the old one. I figure it will take a couple of days. Chickens are creatures of habit.

Just give them some time to acclimate to their new surroundings. If they haven't gone out after 5-7 days, shoo them all out and close the coop door for an hour or so. They're just trying to get their bearings right now. Good luck with your new girls!
Liz

Yup, just give em time. Chickens can be "chicken" with new things. Soon, they'll be rushing that door to get out when you open it in the morning!

when they get used to their new coop.they will go out into their run.enjoy your new girls.

Mine are only 6 weeks old but I had to get them to the coop at 2 weeks when they outgrew the brooder. For the first several days they demanded my company in the run, and it has taken several weeks for them to spontaneously enjoy a romp without me. I suspect that it coincides with mother hens leaving them on their own at 6-7 weeks. I'm sure your girls will be fine!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom