New here, but not to chickens

bygracealone200

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
I found your group when looking for information. I've had chickens for about 12 years in my back yard. Believe me, I won't criticize anyone for the way they do things, and will probably laugh if I'm criticized!
Recently my husband surprised me by bringing home 10 eggs from a client's Rhode Island Reds! We've borrowed an incubator that we've figured out. I've been taking care of those for 4 days now and today he comes hustling the house with 6 eggs that one of our chickens abandoned to take care of the chicks she hatched. A couple of the chicks had already started to break their shells, so he stuck them in the incubator with the other eggs. So far 2 are out and another seems to be on it's way. Hopefully with the help of this group, these chicks will make it. I usually leaving the hatching to the hens!

Hello and :welcome
Hatching eggs can be stressful! So good luck!
That is the attitude to have about criticism! I am glad you joined.
-emma

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the impromptu hatch, hope all goes well!

images

Welcome to BYC!!

Good luck with this hatch and keep us posted! Welcome to our flock!

A third chick just hatched! Not a 'peep' from the other eggs. Now I need to figure out what to do about a 'brooder'. I doubt their mom will want them and it's too cold outside to chance her rejection.

Thanks for the vibes! Latest update is we lost a chick yesterday. It was the one that had so much trouble hatching, so I'm not surprised. Still, it's sad.
The other two are happy and well. It's nice to find 'chicken people' who understand.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! So sorry to hear about the loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom