New here from North Alabama.

Cbetz

Chirping
Jun 6, 2015
Guntersville Alabama
Hi there, I'm Connie. I'm from Guntersville Al. My husband works in Afghanistan and for the time being its just Me, our two year old little boy, Boxer, Cocker spaniel, Mini schnauzer, and 2 chickens! lol I never thought I would have so many kids! I honestly did NOT want to take on chicks until my husband came home, However my son just happened to have won two little chicks at the farm expo in town. Well... I'm the type of person who keeps animals for life. They were living in our large dog kennel until Yesterday! They are right at 8 weeks old. We have a feed store on every corner where I live, and got advice from my sister on what/how to feed them till I could get them a permanent residence. During my many searches of coops, needs, feeds, Feeders, waterers, predator proofing etc. I came across BYC. My husband took the picture and drew me some rough plans. I spent 2 weeks of nap times and Long after my son went to bed at night to build a coop. Acquired several minor injuries and took several trips to buy lumber but I finished! They are two happy little chickens thats for certain! Im still unsure of what sex these little ones are, but they are very friendly and are not at all afraid of my big bad mini schnauzer. I still have a lot to learn, and I am not a fan of only doing something half way.

welcome-byc.gif

First off..would like to thank your husband for serving, and you and your family for sharing. Military, right? That's great. I have a grandson that is going to boot camp in a week and a half .. for the Navy. He wants to be a diver for them. It's hard to get that position, but he's working hard on it!

Anyway, I always say, you can't have too many babies. :) Sounds like you love animals. Glad that you found BYC. Very helpful. Go to your state thread and see who is around you. You would be surprised!

Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock. I would like to sincerely thank your husband for his time in service. I used to have a grooming shop after I graduated from high school and trimmed a lot of poodles, schnauzers and cockers.

Later on I started breeding and showing Cockers. I remember the Klink family, that used to live near Ft.Rucker. They had some of my dogs, and the husband taught himself how to show, and finished some champions. But, I'm old and that was in the 70's. I just kinda wondered if the Cocker bloodlines were still around in Alabama. My last Cocker passed at 14.5 yrs. back in Jan.1989

Thank you! I used to live in Enterprise! Anna is 11 years old and according to the package of paperwork she is of a champion blood line. I purchased her from a cocker breeder in NC. She is a chocolate cocker. Blind and partially deaf. She is the biggest investment in an animal I have ever made! lol I used to fly her with me overseas. I know there are a few breeders around Huntsville but don't know if they are of champion bloodline.

Back
Top Bottom