New here & worried about my eggs

Just to update, I turned off the incubator today, day 25. Eggs had no movement and one had a horrific smell. I opened the eggs up carefully from the air cell side just in case, and all chicks were gone to heaven ☹️ 6 were well developed, had their baby downy feathers, some dark colours, some light. None had pipped the inner membrane and the yolks had not been absorbed. Membranes were not dried out, I just don’t know what happened. So sad seeing perfect little chicks gone with no apparent reason. Incubator seemed to have done its job but we didn’t make the final hurdle.

Gonna count ourselves lucky we have our one little chick. We only did this because we had planned on getting chickens (totally new to us!) and I thought it would be even better if we hatched them ourselves. At least we had the experience with one precious little baby and I’m collecting 3 more tomorrow from the breeder. Cannot wait!!!! ❤️
I would not use that incubator again without testing the humidity and the temperature. Even though the incubator "worked" to incubate, it did not do its job in the final stretch.

I do not think it was your fault. Temperature fluctuate and lower humidity can cause chicks to be week and die before hatching.
A good incubator is worth its weight in gold. It's the next best thing to a broody hen.

Just to update, I turned off the incubator today, day 25. Eggs had no movement and one had a horrific smell. I opened the eggs up carefully from the air cell side just in case, and all chicks were gone to heaven ☹️ 6 were well developed, had their baby downy feathers, some dark colours, some light. None had pipped the inner membrane and the yolks had not been absorbed. Membranes were not dried out, I just don’t know what happened. So sad seeing perfect little chicks gone with no apparent reason. Incubator seemed to have done its job but we didn’t make the final hurdle.

Gonna count ourselves lucky we have our one little chick. We only did this because we had planned on getting chickens (totally new to us!) and I thought it would be even better if we hatched them ourselves. At least we had the experience with one precious little baby and I’m collecting 3 more tomorrow from the breeder. Cannot wait!!!! ❤️

Hope things work out better for you next time.

So the breeder gave me 3 little chicks to join my little one. I think she’s shocked at the moment and is running around looking semi- frightened but also confrontational 🙈 hopefully she’ll simmer down and they’ll all be good friends 🙏 would this be normal for a first introduction. She’s 4 days old today and has never seen another chick until now

Attachments

• IMG_0299.png
    IMG_0299.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
So the breeder gave me 3 little chicks to join my little one. I think she’s shocked at the moment and is running around looking semi- frightened but also confrontational 🙈 hopefully she’ll simmer down and they’ll all be good friends 🙏 would this be normal for a first introduction. She’s 4 days old today and has never seen another chick until now

In general, chickens don't like change but with all of yours being approximately the same size and age, I would guess they would eventually calm down.

She'll be fine.
How large is your brooder? Can you take a picture of it showing the entire size?

Back
Top Bottom