New here

Turkenstein25pizapw1420585505.jpg

Yes I really love the geeky sheep's coop and run. I would love to build one.

Hi! I got your PM but I'll answer here in case anyone else needs it later:

I wish I had plans available for my coop and run, but alas, these were the days before I knew how to use SketchUp and so I doodled it on a napkin. I took my inspiration from another BYCer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/garage-city-coop

My coop is 6'x6'x6', with 2"x6" boards for the base and 2"x4"s for the rest. It was built flat in sections with a heavy duty pocket hole screw jig. The run was built the same way but it measures 7'x15'. I basically tried to make the best use of 8' boards because that's the longest length lumber I could fit in my car. I also built it in sections because I had to be able to move and erect them myself (no small feat, lol).

The run roof is 2'x8' corrugated metal roofing panels. The run is 7' or 8' tall in the back and 6' in the front. I used hurricane ties to attach the rafters so I didn't have to do any notching or angles.

One piece of advice, if you do put the coop in an enclosed pole barn, don't use chicken wire for the walls because the dust just goes EVERYWHERE. Make the walls solid and cut some extra ventilation to the outside. This winter I finally broke down and took out the wire and boarded it up with fence pickets (cheap) and put a plywood roof on it. My barn stays much cleaner now, haha. I also replaced the sand inside with pine shavings to help with the dust issue. If your barn is open on one or two sides that might not be an issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I'll be around and I'm happy to help.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom