New home for SLW roo???

cinnamongirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Deltona
This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I'm not trying to sell him, so I apologize upfront. One of our six little outlaw chicks has decided she is indeed a he and so as not to blow the cover of the other five, we need to find him a new home. He's a beauty and a sweetheart so we'd hate to just give him to anybody who might put him in a stew pot. If there is anyone near Deltona Florida who is interested in breeding him or just has room for a 7 week old roo I'd be happy to give him away free. I could probably even meet you halfway if it's a long drive. Here's a few pics...he wasn't being very cooperative with posing.

40179_photo0006.jpeg

40179_photo0008.jpeg

40179_photo0011.jpeg

40179_photo0014_1.jpeg

aawww good luck with getting him a new home....
i'm a little too far for a road trip...
*heads of to mapquest how far you are from Aunt Joanie who takes in anything that breathes and needs a home*

I am no expert.. I am pretty new to this chicken thing too... but I don't think that is a Wyandotte. I have a GLW roo. Posted a similar mssg a few weeks ago- he is 11 weeks old now.
Yours has the wrong kind of comb to be a wyandotte.
Where did you get it? Could it be a barred rock roo?

Quote:
Single combs on Wyandottes is not uncommon and is often perpetuated in breeding because the single combs have better fertility than the rose comb stock. Rose comb is dominant so many breeders will use a single combed cock with their rose combed hens. They get more rose combed stock that way but the fertility rate is better. Because of the practice of using single comb stock in breeding every once in a while you get a single comb hatched out as two parents carrying at least one copy of the single comb gene pair up.

Quote:
This guy was hatched Oct 5th so that makes him 7 weeks tomorrow. We got them from MPC. We have a barred rock and the pattern is a lot different.
40179_photo0018.jpeg

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was beginning to worry that I had no idea of what I've got!
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. I know about Craig's list and all that but I wanted to try on here first since I can be sure that he'd go to another chicken lover. These birds have been very spoiled and it would be a shame for someone to just eat him without him having a chance to have the great life that I promised them all when they got here
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom