New Illinois Chick

illinoischick

Songster
6 Years
Feb 20, 2016
Hello everyone I am excited to join your community! i have been particularly interested in threads about chickens losing weight and worming chickens. I have had my 10 beautiful girls for two years, and am starting to see significant weight loss. Very alarming! I am hoping all you experts can help! I love my girls!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. If you have never wormed your flock, then in your situation, i would do so - even if its to rule out worms being the cause of weight loss. Other members, i should say, would not necessarily agree with this, so maybe you'd like to read threads on the topic - type something like "causes of weight loss" in the search box and see what it brings up.

All the best

CT

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If they are still eating like normal, it's possible they are hosting some parasites. There are a few discussions on deworming the flock in the Predators and Pests forum section. Best of luck!

Are wild birds or squirrels etc. making off with most of their feed - leaving too little for them. What are you feeding them and how much? Chickens generally eat what they need and don't pig out unless they are meat birds. You might want to have a stool check done at the vet. If one has worms, they probably all do - all would be treated. Knowing what particular worms/worms dictates what treatment should be used. The birds also need a thorough going-over, to check for lice , mites or anything else that would debilitate them.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I will keep reading any and all suggestions. I am having a hard time finding a chicken vet in my area, and I would gladly have a test done if I could find one. I read lots of good comments about how to worm them, which I followed. Well we will see. Do u think having a mixed flock might be part of it ? We added four ducks last year three males and a female. They all seem to get along pretty well. They have unrestricted access to grain and have a doggie door from the coop to a fenced 16x20 yard, plus several free range hours daily. I am open to any other thoughts ??

Back
Top Bottom