new in Wisconsin

I have a good size insulated coop. Last year was the first time I kept birds over winter (just did boilers before). Started with 15 and I am adding 10 more this winter in hope the extra body heat will save me from running any heat. Thinking about putting the quail cages on a high shelve right in the coop over the winter to.

I've got 6 Rhode islands reds and 2 Americanas. I'd like to get a few leg horns next year but we'll see how it goes with 8 first. But it's been great so far.

None yet. I just purchased a used incubator. My first ever hatching attempt will be the end of the month when the eggs I purchased off eBay get here.

Last edited:
Well hatching quail sounds like a fun project,good luck with it and let me know how it goes. What do you plan to use them for, are they for meat?

Yes meat they sound yummy...getting sick of eating chicken. Not sure if there is any demand for quail eggs around here. I might try to sell hatching eggs on eBay. Basically decided on quail because they are fast and cheap. They hatch in only 17 days mature in 8-10 weeks. By fall I should know if they are worth dealing with in freezing temps or not. That is how I started with chickens. Did a couple summers with just Cornish X (big meat no egg butchered at 9 weeks) before deciding to keep layers over winter. I am way north in Wisconsin. Animals can be a lot of work in the winter and eat a lot more. From what I read Coturnix quail winter really well.

Back
Top Bottom