New incubators and hatch results

You have already gotten some good info, but let me say I am a Hands--Off--Hatcher, for the hatch, BUT I open my incubator every day during the incubation to add water(don't want a automatic waterer) and check on the eggs. In the Styrofoam/small incubators I candle around day 12 and day 18, cabinet usually just day 18. A broody hen gets off her eggs pretty much every day for the first 18 to eat and drink. Then just like my broody hens----out of the last 150+ I have set---they do not get off the eggs the last 2/3 and I do not open my incubator the last 3 for Nothing(add water through a hole if needed)----she gets off the nest when they all hatch(if set at the same time) I open my incubator and remove all at the same time after they all hatch--usually day 22. A 100% hatch is very often.

You did good, but do not be afraid to candle or open the first 18 days----I do not even add water or candle in a hurry the first 18 days---meaning if the incubator stays open for 10 or 15 minutes---no problem. Great Luck To You!!

Thanks for the valuable advice. Its so nice to hear from people who have love and a soft corner for animals specially poultry.

I think you are right regarding candling of eggs. We should not let infertile eggs to sit in the incubator for too long due to the risk of explosion. If an egg explodes it can ruin the whole incubator. I was lucky that did not happen. However, I have once experienced a rotten egg exploding and it was awful. I could not eat anything for the next 2 days due to nausea lol. I will definately candle the eggs next time.

You are right about the broody hen. She will also leave the nest for 10 15 minutes which do not affect the eggs. But not in the last three days off course

The eggs in incubator # 2 have started to open on day 19. Or pip as u call it ??
Let's see how many hatch out of 56.

This is the pic of the incubator I prepared with local materials. You will be able to note that I dont let the thermometer go beyond 36 degree this time. Its a little higher in the picture as the incubator is trying to compensate to the heat loss during egg turning

Hi Amy its nice to know that you are still using conventional method of turning. I thought it was hopeless due to poor hatch rate last year. But I did one blunder last year when I put eggs in the local made incubator, that is, I did not calibrate the thermometer. This year I came to know that the thermometer was 2 degree cecius off. Means if its showing 37 degree, it will be actially 39. Therfore the chicks hatched early and were abnormal. This time I have calibrated properly so lets see what results I get. Will keep sharing with u guys.

I want to know one thing, as I am from diferent part of the world. Why do u order eggs online? Why not use from ur own flock. I get on the average 30 eggs everyday and use those for hatching.

Thanks for the encouragement. In my country people usualltly dont care for animals too much. However, I care for them like my own kids. Somwtimes people laugh at me but I tell them thats the way I am.

I did the same thing for my very first hatch 2 1/2 years ago. I borrowed an incubator from my sister and bought a new thermometer for it but never checked the thermometer. It ended up being 6F degrees low. So I only had one surviving hatcher.

Many people order eggs online because they want certain breeds and can't find them locally or they want to add a new bloodline to their existing one. I have never ordered eggs online. I can't stand the thought of paying big bucks and having too much damage done that you get no or next to no hatchers. A friend did send me some beautiful silkie eggs from her flock last year. Had 12 hatchers. The first eggs I hatched came from my sister and that's how I started my flock.

You must have, what, a good 40 birds at least?

The eggs in incubator # 2 have started to open on day 19. Or pip as u call it ??
Let's see how many hatch out of 56.

Yes, we call it a pip, and when they actually start hatching we call it zipping, though you'd think it would make more sense to call it unzipping.
1f609.png

This is the pic of the incubator I prepared with local materials. You will be able to note that I dont let the thermometer go beyond 36 degree this time. Its a little higher in the picture as the incubator is trying to compensate to the heat loss during egg turning

Nice work!

Yes, we call it a pip, and when they actually start hatching we call it zipping, though you'd think it would make more sense to call it unzipping.
1f609.png

Nice work!

Hi. I have around 60 hens and six rosters. The rooster i bought recently from seperate flock in January 2017 in order to avoid in breeding. However, I am now planning to reduce the adult flock as it is difficult to manage that much eggs everyday.

The chicks that hatch first spread chaos in the incubator making things difficult for the chicks that are trying to hatch. They kick the eggs, climb over them etc etc. What should be done about it ?? Opening incubator multiple times to take them out is also not recommended as it's not good for humidity. I guess it's better to let nature take its course.

I helped three chicks which were not able to come out on their own. They zipped the egg pretty good but were trapped in a membrane which became hard. During the process I accidently damaged the cord of one chick. It bleeded and I thought it was gone. To my surprise it hatched. I applied antibiotic cream on the wound and its perfectly fine now. All three are doing fine.

Most of the chicks from the second incubator have hatched. A few are remaining. I will check in the morning to see how many finally made it through.

Hi. I have around 60 hens and six rosters. The rooster i bought recently from seperate flock in January 2017 in order to avoid in breeding. However, I am now planning to reduce the adult flock as it is difficult to manage that much eggs everyday.

I imagine! I get between about a dozen and a half a day and not enough buyers!

The chicks that hatch first spread chaos in the incubator making things difficult for the chicks that are trying to hatch. They kick the eggs, climb over them etc etc. What should be done about it ?? Opening incubator multiple times to take them out is also not recommended as it's not good for humidity. I guess it's better to let nature take its course.

I helped three chicks which were not able to come out on their own. They zipped the egg pretty good but were trapped in a membrane which became hard. During the process I accidently damaged the cord of one chick. It bleeded and I thought it was gone. To my surprise it hatched. I applied antibiotic cream on the wound and its perfectly fine now. All three are doing fine.

Most of the chicks from the second incubator have hatched. A few are remaining. I will check in the morning to see how many finally made it through.

A good majority of hatchers will tell you they're fine in there, they won't hurt anything. I, personally, take mine out of the brooder once they start running around in my bator, but I'm not a hands off hatcher...lol

[quote name="draag80"
Hi draag80,
I have been browsing the international
Wholesale website Alibaba.com . Looked at both the incubators in your first post. Which incubator was easiest to use and most successful at hatching eggs? Thanks for sharing.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Hi sorry for the late reply. The yellowish incubators both are the same make and type. I put eggs in them with two days gap as to collect eggs. The first batch gave almost 100% hatch rate. The second, although same incubator gave less results, that is, 42 hatched successfully and 3 died bcoz I was busy and could not help them get out of the eggs. The remaining 10 or 11 did not hatch. I dont know whether its incubators fault or the eggs were not fertile. The overall result has been good. There's also a 98 egg model with more or less almost the same price. You can have that also but you will have to keep it in the packing foam to retain heat inside if you live in a cold place. I am not in such a cold region but still put the bators in the packing foam in which they came

Back
Top Bottom