New(ish) member - belated introduction

buckock

Songster
Dec 10, 2021
Amelia, Virginia
I've been here for a few months but never took the time to introduce myself. As it's better late than never, here goes!

I got my first chickens a year ago, in March. It's been a crazy year as I now have 35 birds including chicks, pullets, cockerels, and a rooster. I have three of the original six white leghorns (three went to a friend), 2 golden comets, 2 silver laced wyandotte, and 1 golden laced wyandotte as laying hens. Jubal, our silver laced wyandotte, looks after them and is responsible for the rest of the flock. We have 16 12-week-olds, including 10 cockerels and 9 chicks that are 7-weeks old (and includes 5 males). Finally, I have 15 Wyandotte chicks arriving next week from Cackle and 13 eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch out at the same time.

I'm partial to Wyandottes and think I'll stick with that breed once the leghorns and comets stop laying. It's great waking up to new roosters trying to crow and watching chicken TV out my office window. For other hobbies, I enjoy gardening, quilting, cooking, riding, growing apples (I'm taking a grafting workshop this weekend), brewing beer, and mushroom hunting.

For my real job, I'm a maritime archaeologist. I live with my husband and his mother on the family place (https://glendale1855.wordpress.com/), with five generations of memories and three generations of tractors, old cars, and older buildings. We also have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 hives of bees. I've enjoyed the positive happy energy on BYC and look forward to sharing and learning more.

Welcome to BYC, so glad you joined us! Enjoy your birds!
:frow
What an interesting job and place you have!

I've been here for a few months but never took the time to introduce myself. As it's better late than never, here goes!

I got my first chickens a year ago, in March. It's been a crazy year as I now have 35 birds including chicks, pullets, cockerels, and a rooster. I have three of the original six white leghorns (three went to a friend), 2 golden comets, 2 silver laced wyandotte, and 1 golden laced wyandotte as laying hens. Jubal, our silver laced wyandotte, looks after them and is responsible for the rest of the flock. We have 16 12-week-olds, including 10 cockerels and 9 chicks that are 7-weeks old (and includes 5 males). Finally, I have 15 Wyandotte chicks arriving next week from Cackle and 13 eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch out at the same time.

I'm partial to Wyandottes and think I'll stick with that breed once the leghorns and comets stop laying. It's great waking up to new roosters trying to crow and watching chicken TV out my office window. For other hobbies, I enjoy gardening, quilting, cooking, riding, growing apples (I'm taking a grafting workshop this weekend), brewing beer, and mushroom hunting.

For my real job, I'm a maritime archaeologist. I live with my husband and his mother on the family place (https://glendale1855.wordpress.com/), with five generations of memories and three generations of tractors, old cars, and older buildings. We also have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 hives of bees. I've enjoyed the positive happy energy on BYC and look forward to sharing and learning more.
Welcome! What’s a real job? This all seems to blend together …!

Back
Top Bottom