New Keeper in Foggy England

So who do I go for? I'm leaning towards Smokey but he is a bit soft in the head and he's a random mutt.
There's nothing wrong with random mutts unless your breeding for a particular breed in which case you need a rooster and hens of the same pure breed you're breeding for. My philosophy is to keep the calmest and most gentle rooster as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. Based on what you've said about the temperament of your roosters, and since you're leaning toward Smokey, it sounds to me like he's probably the best rooster to keep.

I definitely would pick Smokey Joe. Henry sounds like he could become a menace to chickens and humans. I think if he wasn't around Smokey would gain more confidence. You see the girls like Smokey already. If hens aren't happy, nobody is happy. Welcome to BYC.

Sometimes "soft in the head," is a good place to be - it hasn't held me back (much)
gig.gif

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Great intro, I enjoyed reading your story. All your birds sound wonderful, looking forward to hearing more stories about them.

If you would like to connect with other members from the UK, here's a link you may want to check out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england

Thanks for joining us and have fun with those birds!

I went out to release my banties this morning and had to remove 2x light sussex, 2x black things with gold necklaces, 1x what my landlord calls a bluebelle from their area. No food left. Once I went out to put mine away and there was a bluebell somehow shoehorned into the bantam house (seriously I have no idea how she got in through the pop door) but she did leave me an egg in the morning!

Look, sunshine today!

Henry and Bubble having a drink.

Squeak with her tail right up.

Smokey Joe's growing, splashy tail.

Henry getting eclipsed by Smokey Joe; he is a much bigger, heavier bird but was hiding around my wellies from Bubble again.

Henry.

The three pekins all together.

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Great intro, I enjoyed reading your story. All your birds sound wonderful, looking forward to hearing more stories about them.

If you would like to connect with other members from the UK, here's a link you may want to check out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england

Thanks for joining us and have fun with those birds!

I'll have to join that thread, thankyou! There's a few people not far from me and next spring I think I'd like to get some hatching eggs :D

Thank you all for your encouraging words, I think I'll stick with Smokey Joe. I do love him the most out of all of them but I thought I was being silly plumping for him when I'd had a pekin given to me. Now I have an excuse to keep him. I wonder if anyone local would like a pekin cock!

Back
Top Bottom