New layer butt nuggets , new layer questions

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
My 5 month old Pekins has started laying and has had a wide array of shapes and sizes including some soft shells. She recently laid a little quail egg sized butt nugget. Well, maybe a little bigger than a quail egg but not by much. I know their egg sizes can vary when they start laying but we've also had a couple narrow/super long eggs (pic attached with comparison to average size duck egg). Could this be hers? We've only had normal sized duck eggs (some varying in size a bit but not shape) until she started laying. Normally her eggs were smaller in width and sometimes height than a chicken egg. To see a couple so huge was a shocker when they've all been small. The tiny butt nugget was after the big ones. Not sure if they're here or possibly maybe the others put out a couple massive odd shaped ones. Glad hers have been different though cause they're our only indicator that they're hers cause she had to have antibiotics a couple months ago so we can't eat her eggs right now. Is there an estimated timeframe they lay abnormally when first starting to lay or can there be large variances from duck to duck? Our older girls, layers I got as adults so this is my first time with a new layer.

Attachments

• IMG_20231016_092745088.jpg
    IMG_20231016_092745088.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231009_101343300.jpg
    IMG_20231009_101343300.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 6
Normal for newbie layers. She will lay more uniform shaped eggs next season. Our 2-year old girls have stopped laying for this year

Attachments

• 20231009_081455.jpg
    20231009_081455.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231009_081451.jpg
    20231009_081451.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 4
Normal for newbie layers. She will lay more uniform shaped eggs next season. Our 2-year old girls have stopped laying for this year
Yep that it pretty normal at the start. Usually it takes a good month sometimes two for things to get sorted out.
I'm getting 1 to 3 per day from my older 3 layers :) i knew new layer eggs could vary but those ginormously long eggs were definitely a surprise, especially because all her eggs have been smaller than an average duck egg. I wasn't sure if it were possible they could've come from the seasoned layers. It's crazy to think that a huge huge egg like that could come out of my tiny little girl. I'm not sure where she held it lol.

After a duck has been laying for a year, is it common for them to have oddly shaped eggs occasionally such as the huge egg pictured above that is oddly long and pointed or do they generally stay around the same size varying just slightly?

After a duck has been laying for a year, is it common for them to have oddly shaped eggs occasionally such as the huge egg pictured above that is oddly long and pointed or do they generally stay around the same size varying just slightly?

My son's laying pekins' eggs vary from day to day. Large eggs often have two yolks. It happens fro. Time to time

My son's laying pekins' eggs vary from day to day. Large eggs often have two yolks. It happens fro. Time to time
Ours vary too but these are oddly tall and narrow so didn't know if it was possible they could be from the older girls instead of my new layer who seems to usually put out pointy small ones. Because of the extreme point I thought they might be from her cause that seems to be her M.O. but her eggs are usually small so wondered if seasoned layers could have odd shaped eggs like this as well. I attached pics in my original post :)

So we used our new layers eggs for a science activity for homeschool (can't eat them right now because she was antibiotics less than 3 months ago). They're comparing size variations, texture, egg type etc for a new laying duck as well as examining the yolks. 3 out of the 17 or so eggs were double yolk. I had mentioned that a couple of the off shaped (really long, around 3") eggs were very large and most her eggs were smaller than the average duck egg but thought they might be hers cause they were the same long/narrow shape as her others. I was unsure though cause of the size as hrs are usually small and these were oddly huge in comparison to a normal duck egg. These two huge eggs were double yolk, both with a normal size duck yolk. Could they have been from the older girls and an odd size cause they are double yolk or do duck eggs that are double yolk usually still keep the normal round oval shape? One of her small ones was a double yolk, with little chicken sized yolks.

Back
Top Bottom