New Layer didn't survive

My thought would be Marek's too. The timing is actually part of it as Marek's outbreaks are often triggered by stress and the onset of laying is a stressful time for pullets as their hormones surge and they are confused about what is happening.

One of the many symptoms of Marek's is that it suppresses the immune system and that means that birds are vulnerable to things that they would normally have resistance to like coccidiosis. The watery poop and lethargy may have been symptoms of that (not all coccidia cause bloody poop) so whilst the vaccine may have protected her from the fatal tumours, a secondary infection like coccidiosis may have killed her.

I understand your anxiety as regards this as I have had Marek's in my flock for 3 years now and all I can say is that whilst each death is heart breaking, overall things are not as bad as a lot of what you read, and after the initial outbreak things do settle down quite a bit. That is not to say that this will be your sole Marek's victim but as the seasons pass the surviving chickens seem to develop a level of resistance. That said I have no direct experience with vaccinated birds but there are two main schools of thought on managing your flock once you have it..... one is that you are best to only bring in vaccinated chicks to replace losses and practice strict biosecurity for the first few weeks and the other that you breed within the flock from the survivors and keep them unvaccinated. I'm in the latter camp and out of 56 chicks hatched last year only 3 showed symptoms of Marek's, the two pullets died and the cockerel (typical!) made a miraculous recovery.
There is research to suggest that the vaccine may in fact be leading to more virulent strains of Marek's mutating because the virus does not usually kill the host, but that could also be said of my birds that survive outbreaks of it and I am seeing things improve over time rather than deteriorate. Each season I have less problems with it.
I hope that helps you feel a little less pessimistic about your situation. I was pretty horrified when I realised that my flock had this disease and everything I read was really doom and gloom, but on the whole things have not been anywhere near as bad as I was led to believe. Yes I am always on the look out for a bird showing symptoms..... I noticed one of my favourites has a problem with her eyes this morning not quite opening properly..... not a classic Marek's issue but it is always at the back of my mind that it may be related.... but I don't panic anymore. I will deal with the problem as it presents itself and I now have the knowledge to give the best supportive care I can and I know the point at which there is no hope and I need to end it for them. I have had quite a few that have made truly remarkable recoveries, so as long as they are eating there is hope.

Best wishes

Barbara

Marek's disease. I have lost dozens to it. Your state ag lab will do a necropsy in the future. Don't freeze the dead body, though, as that ruins it for necropsy. My last rooster who died had mareks on necropsy was also vaccinated. They've all been vaccinated, but the vaccine has about a 4 percent failure rate and if you've got non-industry birds, the failure rate is even greater. The state lab, in its incredibly thorough necropsy, included this blurb explaining the various vaccines (and why the ones backyard breeders use don't work well:

BACKYARD POULTRY RESOURCES: http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/type/backyard/

MAREK’S VACCINES

1. Bivalent HVT/CVI 988 (Rispens) and Homologous CVI 988 (Rispens) Vaccines These vaccines can be bought from the different poultry vaccine manufacturers, and are used commonly in commercial poultry, but at the moment are not generally unavailable for use in backyard flocks. The vaccine of choice would be the bivalent HVT+CVI 988 (Rispens) which will provide the broadest spectrum of efficacy, even against very virulent strains of MD virus. These MD vaccines are in cell-associated form, which means that the vaccine virus is present in live cells and in order to maintain its infectivity, the cells have to be kept viable. The vaccine has to be transported and stored, frozen at -196ºC in liquid nitrogen in special containers. Before use, the vaccine has to be mixed in specific diluents provided by the vaccine manufacturers and must be applied in 1-2 hours by subcutaneous vaccination in the neck region of the chick in the hatchery. The minimum dose size of the commercial available MD vaccines is 1000 doses/ampoule. This might be a problem if only a small numbers of birds have to be vaccinated. After the vaccine is mixed in the diluents, it has to be used immediately and cannot be stored. It is strongly recommended to follow the instructions of transport, storage, mixing of vaccine in diluent before use, and actual vaccination as prescribed by the vaccine manufacturer.

2. SB1 (avirulent Gallid herpesvirus type 3) Vaccine This vaccine is also cell-associated, deep frozen and available from poultry vaccine producers (not via Internet); however it may be slightly easier to obtain than the above. All the above comments regarding storage and use still apply. It is considered to be less efficacious than CVI 988 (Rispens), but more efficacious than HVT (see below).

3. HVT (Turkey Herpes Virus) Vaccine ** Vaccines made available by several Internet Web suppliers are mostly in freeze-dried (lyophilized) form and contain only HVT. The freeze-dried vaccine, which needs to be stored at 2 - 7ºC until reconstitution in the diluent, will provide a lesser level of protection than the cell-associated vaccines listed above, but this may be enough for small isolated backyard flocks. The vaccine cannot be stored after reconstitution and needs to be used within 1-2 hours.

This is the only vaccine currently available for small backyard flocks. If buying chicks from large hatcheries, it is possible that some are using one of the cell-associated, deep frozen vaccines listed above; however the commercial poultry industry would like to limit their use (particularly Rispens), because of a legitimate concern that widespread and possibly incorrect use of Rispens in BYC may actually select for more virulent strains of MDV.

Thank you all.
Barbara, I feel like brewing a pot of coffee, sitting my chickens in a circle and reading them your reply. You have settled my anxiety and given me reassurance to press forward and deal with all of the bad things that come with all of the good. If you don't mind I'd like to stay in touch with you.

I wish you my best.
John

Hi John.

That is exactly it. As with everything in life there is good and bad, bitter and sweet, happy and sad. You can't have one exclusively without the other. Enjoy the good times and try not to worry about the bad times until they are upon you and then deal with them as best you can.
Happy for you to contact me if you need support or advice, although I do think it is better to seek the advice of many people via the forum and get a balanced view of all the options rather than rely on just one person's perception. None of us are right all the time and we can all learn from each other..... it is the main benefit of forums such as this, which has been the source of most of my knowledge.

Regards

Barbara

Hi John.

That is exactly it. As with everything in life there is good and bad, bitter and sweet, happy and sad. You can't have one exclusively without the other. Enjoy the good times and try not to worry about the bad times until they are upon you and then deal with them as best you can.
Happy for you to contact me if you need support or advice, although I do think it is better to seek the advice of many people via the forum and get a balanced view of all the options rather than rely on just one person's perception. None of us are right all the time and we can all learn from each other..... it is the main benefit of forums such as this, which has been the source of most of my knowledge.

Regards

Barbara
Agreed. This site rocks and people here are very supportive. Again, thank you all!
There is no other place that I truly feel we all understand each other's sucesses and support our fellow chicken owners when we are in the fog of the unknown.
If I have further queries regarding their health I will post again and I feel comforted in knowing that I will receive the same guidance as I did this round.
Wish me luck as I wish all of you.

Back
Top Bottom