New Layer, small eggs?

Not really, IME more common in older birds...could be a repro system anomaly, or could clear up in time.
Thanks for the info - I really didnt think it was abnormal because so many other weird things happen with new layers (rubber / soft shell / no shell). It hasn't happened in quite some time now, and all the gals seem happy and healthy, so I'm hoping it isn't anything serious.

I have 4 new layers with smallish eggs as well (only store bought to compare to). Question: do hens use the “buddy system” in the beginning? I found one egg this morning, and brought it in. Now, a few hours later, two hens are searching the box (as if #1 instructed “just put it with mine” and they can’t find hers!).. amusing, but normal?

New layers can take days to weeks to months for eggs to get up the their 'normal' size.
i have 2 black australorps. one has been laying perfect, hard shelled eggs for 2 weeks. the other just started laying a few days ago. the first egg that she laid was a perfect, tiny hard shelled pullet egg that looked just like her sisters first few eggs and she laid it right in the nesting box where her sister lays hers. the next day, though, she laid a soft shelled rubber egg and then a complete shell-less liquid egg a couple of hours later both out in their run. then for the next 2 days she hasn't laid anything at all. she is eating, drinking, walking, and looks completely normal and healthy, besides for these first few wonky eggs and now gaps with no eggs. they have been on layer feed since 2 weeks ago, get grit and plenty of freeze dried black soldier fly larvae and assorted fruits and veggies when we have them. Should i be concerned about her inconsistent laying or is it normal to have an off schedule and eggs at first. like i said, her sister from day one of laying has had no bad eggs and only taken 2 days off in 2 weeks. im just not sure why she started laying with a perfect egg, and then the next day had 2 bad eggs, and the past 2 days nothing at all?

i have 2 black australorps. one has been laying perfect, hard shelled eggs for 2 weeks. the other just started laying a few days ago. the first egg that she laid was a perfect, tiny hard shelled pullet egg that looked just like her sisters first few eggs and she laid it right in the nesting box where her sister lays hers. the next day, though, she laid a soft shelled rubber egg and then a complete shell-less liquid egg a couple of hours later both out in their run. then for the next 2 days she hasn't laid anything at all. she is eating, drinking, walking, and looks completely normal and healthy, besides for these first few wonky eggs and now gaps with no eggs. they have been on layer feed since 2 weeks ago, get grit and plenty of freeze dried black soldier fly larvae and assorted fruits and veggies when we have them. Should i be concerned about her inconsistent laying or is it normal to have an off schedule and eggs at first. like i said, her sister from day one of laying has had no bad eggs and only taken 2 days off in 2 weeks. im just not sure why she started laying with a perfect egg, and then the next day had 2 bad eggs, and the past 2 days nothing at all?
I'm no expert, but this seems pretty normal to me. I had many soft-shelled and wonky eggs when my pullets first started laying. It's also not unusual that she's not laying every single day (especially if she had a soft-shelled AND a shell-less egg in the same day). Her system is still working things out. I bet things will become more consistent as time goes by!

I'm no expert, but this seems pretty normal to me. I had many soft-shelled and wonky eggs when my pullets first started laying. It's also not unusual that she's not laying every single day (especially if she had a soft-shelled AND a shell-less egg in the same day). Her system is still working things out. I bet things will become more consistent as time goes by!
yes, she laid a perfect hard shelled egg in the nesting box today. so proud of her :) bot proud of her obnoxious egg laying song XD we get it girl, you can SING!

yes, she laid a perfect hard shelled egg in the nesting box today. so proud of her :) bot proud of her obnoxious egg laying song XD we get it girl, you can SING!
YAY! That's what we like to see!

You might still get a wonky one here and there, but the longer she's laying the less weirdness you should see. :)

Back
Top Bottom